Landlord Tax - 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord Tax - 2017

Reading through the posts, I can't see a clear answer on how mortgage interest is going to be viewed by the government. I,e, is it still regarded as a business expense or not?

The last few posts I've read seem to be along the lines of the mortgage interest won't be seen as a business expense anymore. To the regular posters on this forum, is this correct?

If so, for example:

Previous rental profit £15k, so tax at 20% = £3000.00

Rental profit, plus mortgage interest = £35k, so new tax as of 2017 would equal = £7000

Grateful for clarification if it does exist yet.

Many thanks
    MAPTON

Yes, that is correct - loan interest will no longer be a busiiness expense for a property rental business (individual landlord).

The interest deduction will be given in terms of Basic Rate Tax.

Comment

added the word relief!

Originally posted by MAPTON View Post
      Previous rental profit £15k, so tax at 20% = £3000.00

Rental profit, plus mortgage interest = £35k, so new tax as of 2017 would equal = £7000
      If you have interest payments of £20k you would deduct 20% of the interest from the tax due as the restricted tax relief due - £4k
      So your tax would be unchanged in that example at £3,000

Obviously if that knocks you over into higher rate tax band you would pay more tax.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

jpkeates,

I don't understand that. Currently, if my mortgage interest PA is £20k, if I am no longer allowed to offset the £20K, then surely my tax bill in respect of the mortgage interest is a further £4k per year?

Comment

The mortgage relief is restricted to the base rate of tax, not removed altogether.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X