Capital Gains Tax - Private Residence Relief and Letting Relief, help me verify this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital Gains Tax - Private Residence Relief and Letting Relief, help me verify this

Hello everyone,

I am selling my first property (UK). I have calculated the taxable capital gains left over and need advice/confirmation as to whether my figures are correct.

Details:
    I purchased the property on the 16/04/2013 for £155,000 with a residential mortgage.
    I have lived in the property since the day we moved in until 07/02/2014 (10 months), which was the day we moved out to my parents.

From 07/02/2014 to 01/03/2014, the house was empty as it was being marketed for LET. On the 01/03/2014, it was LET to my first residential tenant till 07/07/2014 (4 months).

From the 07/07/2014 to 23/10/2014, the house was empty for refurbishment and i lived for a 2 months while refurbishing it as the first tenant destroyed parts of the property.

On the 23/10/2014 until 22/04/2015 the property was on LET to my 2nd residential tenant (6 months)

from the 22/04/2015 till now, the property is empty as it is now put up for sale for £265,000

From the above, i worked out the following CGT.

Purchase Price £155,000.00
    Selling Price £265,000.00
    Gain: £110,000

Total Months Owned: 27
    Total Lived: 10
    Total Let: 10
    Total Empty: 7

This part of the gain is
    £40,237.19 (10/27*110,000)
    Your remaining gain is £69,762.81

further Letting Relief £39,988.08
    The amount of relief is the lowest of:
    1 the amount of Private Residence Relief already calculated
    2 40000
    3 the amount of any chargeable gain you make because of the letting

Your chargeable gain will be £29,774.73

Less Expenses:
    Selling Agent Fees
    £4,200.00

Less Solicitors Selling Fees
    £1,100.00

First Property Purchase Stamp Duty + Solicitors in 16/04/2013:
    £3,163.10

Early Settlement Bank Mortgage
    £6,200.00

CGT Exempt Amount:
    £11,000.00

Net Taxable Gain: £4,111.63

CGT 28% Tax Due: £1,151.26

Is this correct? Sorry if my calculations seems confusing, if you can, you could recalculate using an easy method using the main variables at the beginning of this post.

Thanks in advance
    Dean

The final 18 months of your period of ownership always qualify for relief, regardless of how you use the property in that time, as long as it has been your only or main residence at some point.

Comment

Full relief? as in i dont pay any tax?

Comment

No, the calculation is not correct.

However, it is not relevant as your occupation (both deemed and actual) covers the total period of ownership.

There should be no CGT liability based on the info given.

Comment

Originally posted by da3533 View Post
          Full relief? as in i dont pay any tax?
          No you won't

Comment

damn, thats good to hear. the bad news is, i didnt even know about the 18 months relief.

So how would this be declared on my tax return? would it state how much i bought it for and sold? and dates, would it automatically calculate that i have full relief?

Comment

Be aware that due to the last 18 months being deemed your PPR you can not claim letting relief for that period. However you will not have a CGT laibility but you will need to report the sale to HMRC. Regards Peter

Comment

You say" we moved in" where you joint owners. If you ththen you will need to rework the numbers for HMRC.
                I note you did not live there for very long. HMRC may question that. Why did you move out. ? Regards Peter

Comment

HI

its a 5 bed house, i sole owned it. I lived for there since i bought and split up with my partner after 10 months. The plan was to live there but the house is too big for just me, so i gad to move back home, 40 miles away. i then later asked for consent to let from my bank.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to CGT check appreciated, thanks in advance!
                    by Gordon999
                    OK. Your capital gain =£22,242 less £12, 300 = £9942 x 18% = £ 1790 tax bill to pay.
                    17-10-2021, 17:53 PM
                  • CGT check appreciated, thanks in advance!
                    by tatemono
                    Would really appreciate some help checking figures. Figures below are halved because my sister and I inherit in equal shares.
                    • property valued at £187,500 at date of mother's death in Jan 2015
                    • recent sale value £217,500
                    • improvement costs £5,318
                    • costs of sale: £2,440.50
                    • no reliefs
                    • my profit
                    16-10-2021, 15:15 PM
                  • Reply to CGT Query
                    by jessa46
                    Thanks for reply, much appreciated.
                    I asked my solicitor about the 30 day rule and he emailed me back saying I didn't need to do this as no cgt to pay but, as I do a yearly self assessment, to include it my self assessment. I'll be sending it off this week. There's a website called 'xxxx' which...
                    17-10-2021, 16:33 PM
                  • CGT Query
                    by jessa46
                    I have never claimed CGT allowance but may need to after selling an inherited property. The property gained in value during probate. The sold price was £153k and the valuation at death for 'capital gains purposes' was £130000. There are 3 shares. My share of selling price is £51k and share of gain...
                    13-10-2021, 17:37 PM
                  • Reply to CGT Query
                    by AndrewDod
                    - You have to submit the CGT calculations within 30 days regardless of whether there is CGT to pay (else you get large and increasing fines)

No it is not added to your income for this purpose
                    17-10-2021, 15:54 PM
                  • Reply to CGT Query
                    by jessa46
                    Thank you for replies. Re how it was valued, this is where my head spins. Our mum passed away around 8 years ago. We got probate in 2019. Property was transferred into 3 siblings names in 2020, so that we could benefit from personal CGT allowance. The solicitor sent us a document 'for hmrc cgt purposes'...
                    17-10-2021, 15:13 PM
                    by AndrewDod
                    I'd imagine it would be payable as CGT by the individuals. Certainly that would apply to interest earned on savings during probate so don't think CGT would be different. It is definitely not payable by the estate (that would be grossly unfair to some beneficiaries who had not used various allowances)....
                    17-10-2021, 13:05 PM
                    by tatemono
                    thanks for your comments everyone. Alas Gordon999, although you were aware of my first statement that the property was shared between two of us, the figures I gave were already halved. You then went on and halved the gain which effectively halved the figures once more! My gain is around the £22K figure...
                    17-10-2021, 12:57 PM
                  • Need LTB on our home to buy another property to live in - help please?
                    by Advice seeker
                    Hello

We want to make an offer on a property but the highest current offer doesn't need to a sell anything to purchase, so in a better position than us.

If we do a LTB on our home (so we are in same position) with a 6 month rental contract then sell asap after this to be within...
                    06-10-2021, 15:36 PM
                  • Reply to Need LTB on our home to buy another property to live in - help please?
                    by Advice seeker
                    Thank you JP and Gordon, really, this is very helpful to me!

All being well JP I can get this all done within the 9 months, am aware this is a challenge! Would have been so much easier when 18 or 36 months!

On the tenant side Gordon, I am in contact with a university accommodation...
                    16-10-2021, 19:33 PM
                  Working...
                  X