Interest only mortgage - can you sell the property at the end of the term?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest only mortgage - can you sell the property at the end of the term?

Let's say I buy a house for £150,000, with a £40,000 deposit - My mortgage is £110,000 and its interest only.

After 20 years I still owe £110,000. Let's say the house value has doubled and is now worth £300,000. What are my options?

Yes, you can sell it. Trouble is you will have a hefty chunk of CGT to pay.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

In my example, what do I get if I sell it? I got the house with a 75% mortgage so I only only own 25% of the house, what happens if I sell it for £300,000? Do I make some profit or do I have to pay any profit and more to the bank to cover the £110,000 that I still owe? The house has doubled in value, what do I get from selling, seeing as I only paid £40,000 and still owe £110,000. I'm just not sure how this is calculated.

Comment

You owe the lender £110K

The rest minus tax, and fees is yours.

Comment

you would have £190,000 minus selling costs after paying off the mortgage and then a CGT bill of some amount, there's no complex calculation

Comment

You get £300,000 and repay the bank the £110,000 you owe which means you are left with £190,000. The CGT will be due on £150,000 less your annual allowance.

Comment

Ah I see. So if after 20 years the house price remains the same, £150,000, I can just sell the house for £150,000, pay the lender £110,000 and i'll have gained back my original £40,000 deposit from the sale? Meaning all rent profits I took during those 20 years leaves me with a decent net gain even though the house price didn't go up?

Comment

yes, and if the value has fallen 10% you'll have to find £15,000 to give the bank to make up the shortfall

Comment

Or to put it another way, you'll only get £25,00 of your original investment back

Comment

I see. Is there an ideal number of years to take an interest only mortgage for on buy to let? I was thinking if you took a 20 year interest only mortgage, chances are after 20 years the house will have gained value substantially, even if it only increases with inflation of 3%. We all know it has increased much faster than inflation so far. I suppose it also depends on where you buy. A good house in the south of England isn't likely to be worth less after 20 years is it?

Also, do I need to wait the full 20 years pay off the full £110,000 loan or can I do it sooner and if I do choose to, is there a penalty?

Comment

Early repayment penalties dependson the lender and their terms, there's no right answer to that.

It doesn't matter how long an interest only mortgage is really - they have expensive arrangement fees and varying interest rates, so you look at what each deal will cost over the period you want to plan for.
                      A usual BTL scenario is a mortgage with a two year deal at x% increasing then to a higher variable rate that costs an arrangement fee of £2,000 or a three year deal at less than x% that costs £3,000 arrangement fee or a 10 year deal at more than x% with an arrangement fee of £995.

You select the deal that suits what you want to do for the period you think best.

CGT is one thing to factor into your planning (although you're guessing what it will be in 20 year's time).
                      The other - which a lot of people forget - is inflation, which erodes the value of the property by making the money worth less as time passes.
                      Recently inflation has been very low, but it's worth bearing in mind - particularly when comparing shorter term investments with longer term ideas.
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

cm00,

Until Last night, I was in the position of taking on a 63K interest only mortgage with a 42K deposit.

My plan, was to repay my wife the 10K out of her ISA, in the first 2 or 3 years, (after taking off the income tax) and then pay off the mortgage over the next 18 years with half the profit. Should the value go up, I would consider the wisdom of remortgaging, to use the equity for another BTL, or ignore it. I suspect it depends how much spare profit I can make in my day job, but ultimately I don't want to get to retirement age, and still owe money on it, and maybe be forced to sell, when I'm not ready to.
                        All academic today as the vendor has sold it to someone else. (Probably)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Recent tax return
                          by jpkeates
                          I suspect that you completed the return incorrectly.
                          25-01-2022, 09:30 AM
                        • Recent tax return
                          by Ailers
                          Hi, new here, sorry if this has been asked already but I can't find the answer.

I have just completed my tax return for 2020/21 as a landlord with a few properties. My income was 22k and my outgoings (maintainance, ground rent, insurance, mortgage payments etc) was 18k. The mortgages are...
                          24-01-2022, 22:42 PM
                        • Reply to 50/50 ownership versus rental split
                          by AndrewDod
                          Yes (if you are spouses)
                          Probably wise to use a lawyer
                          CGT not relevant as you can freely transfer between spouses for CGT purposes (even shortly before a sale)...
                          25-01-2022, 08:52 AM
                        • 50/50 ownership versus rental split
                          by Deeks67
                          Hi guys , I have recieved some inaccuratre advice ( not from this site ) RE ownership and rental income split . my wife and I have 2 unemcumbered properties which are renting out , the first started renting in Oct 2020 and the second started in July 2021 . Both properties are in joint names 50/50 (...
                          25-01-2022, 06:24 AM
                        • Reply to Tax return
                          by jpkeates
                          If it was first let in December 2020, the costs allowable against income prior to that take place on the first day of the first tenancy for tax purposes.

So, if you mean can you claim it on a tax return for April 2020 to April 2021, the answer is yes.
                          You can't claim it for this tax...
                          24-01-2022, 21:10 PM
                        • Tax return
                          by pchaure
                          Hi
                          New to this, buy to let property got in 2018 but renewing took time and COVID hit. Rented out since Dec 2020. I had Electrical work done completed in 2019, as had no income I had not filled in self assessment. Can I claim it in this tax year?
                          24-01-2022, 19:05 PM
                        • Reply to Advice
                          by SouthernDave
                          I started my limited company a year before buying the first property, then bought a second 2 months later, a third 3 months after that, a fourth 5 months after that and so on to where I am now. Our lenders have never said they want a separate company per property. Ive never heard of that, if it were...
                          23-01-2022, 17:40 PM
                        • Advice
                          by jhoggard
                          Hi,

I currently have a property rented out in my own name with a fair bit of equity around 50% LTV this is actually a repayment mortgage which i'm looking to switchover to a interest only. When i do this i'm also taking money out of the property to put towards another which i'm looking...
                          20-01-2022, 14:25 PM
                        • Reply to Advice
                          by jpkeates
                          I don't think we disagree.

The OP has one property and is looking to buy a second.
                          At that point in that business, lenders will want a company per property.

There's a point where that ceases to be the case, when the portfolio gets big enough, or, presumably when someone...
                          23-01-2022, 17:34 PM
                        • Reply to Advice
                          by SouthernDave
                          i concur with James, once you get over 4 properties, they consider you to be a portfolio landlord and want to start seeing cashflow forecasts before lending to make sure the company is buoyant. Directors guarantees each time but no limits on number of properties or number of dofferent lenders.
                          23-01-2022, 16:50 PM
                        Working...
                        X