Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apportionment of costs

I own a BTL in London in my sole name.

I also own various properties in Glasgow in joint names with my wife - they are different splitss: 50:50, 90:10; 80:20 etc..

How do I allocate admin costs amongst myself and my wife (e.g. stationary, Pro rata household bills etc..) for tax purposes?

Also if I travel to Glasgow purely for the BTL business, where would I offset the mileage cost. Would it be just in my tax return (since it was me travelling alone) or in a share proportionate to our ownership of properties?

Thanks

Assuming you have the appropriate trusts and HMRC notifications in place for the various ownership proportions...

This can be a real PITA.
    I'd suggest that you record everything at property level, so costs are allocated to individual properties, that way an income/cost position per property can be identified and split accordingly.
    Where that's just not possible without operating at a stupid level - stationary and business travel - split the costs 50:50.

I'd suggest that unless there's a good reason to do it otherwise that you take the time to get the properties into the same portions of ownership. It doesn't make sense to have different splits for different properties if it's a single business.
    If there's a PPR advantage, by all means reflect that and perhaps treat that property differently, but otherwise it's just a bit of a mess.

You should be very careful about claiming pro-rated household bills, there's a risk of turning your home into a place of work.
    It's not something I claim for, personally.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

HMRC are unlikely to challenge any reasonable allocation of general overheads.

Again. HMRC are unlikely to argue over small/reasonable travelling expenses - preferably not combined with family holidays etc.

Comment

I would recommend OP should be using an accountant to advise on his complex situation and to submit his tax return for first one or two years .

Comment

Thanks all.

Also, are costs related to looking for new properties allowable (e.g. mileage when going to view properties)? If so, do you allocate them to existing properties or just put in a "general overhead" at the end?

Comment

That is a trickier one. Abortive purchase costs are likely to be not deductible at all - either for Income Tax or CGT. For successful purchases, a deduction is more optimistic.

Comment

What about the mileage costs of going to view a property that I ultimately end up buying?

Comment

If the mileage is legitimately for the business (and only for the business) its an operating expense.

I'd suggest recording all journeys that are exclusively for business and claiming against them.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• CGT and income
                  by slopemaster
                  Considering selling our rental property and trying to estimate how much CGT is due. We are both basic rate tax payers and the gain from the property will take us into higher rate, so the amount of tax we pay will depend on income for that year – it does vary year to year. I presume the relevant income...
                  06-07-2022, 05:47 AM
                • Reply to CGT and income
                  by slopemaster
                  Thank you all
                  06-07-2022, 14:47 PM
                  by Lesney Park
                  Yes

You do, or better an accountant but essentially you report and pay the gain at HMRC https://www.gov.uk/report-and-pay-yo...r-6-april-2020 estimating what you need to, and then report it again essentially in your tax return...
                  06-07-2022, 08:34 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  You estimate your income for this year and declare and pay the tax accordingly.
                  When you complete your tax return for the tax year, the figures are adjusted then....
                  06-07-2022, 08:27 AM
                  by theartfullodger
                  60 days not 2 months.
                  06-07-2022, 07:50 AM
                • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
                  by DoricPixie
                  How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
                  04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
                • SDLT and first time buyers
                  by mpppen
                  Hello again.

Just wondering if someone can advise.

If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
                  03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
                  by jpkeates
                  If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
                  It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

There's obviously...
                  04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
                  by AndrewDod
                  Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
                  04-07-2022, 14:45 PM
                  by mpppen
                  Thanks.

Yes, the lender is happy to lend them 100% the purchase price so not gifting on our side. In essence, it's just removing it from our name into theirs as he is also our lender.

It's unusual I appreciate but it's a private commercial lender - if that makes sense. His...
                  04-07-2022, 13:55 PM
                Working...
                X