New landlord - what can be claimed?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New landlord - what can be claimed?

    Situation: Buying a small property to let which needs some renovation work.

    1) Electric board - looks unsafe and some damage. Will get electrician to replace with MCB unit with proper RCD. Is this claimable?

    2) Planning to replace the bathroom and kitchen. I plan to do this work myself. I know new units/fittings are not claimable but can I claim for the tools as technically they're for maintenance. e.g. if I replace existing broken tiles I need a tile cutter.

    Also if the units are broken/damaged (e.g. the toilet is cracked) can I claim for replacement?

    I've read that the cost for new stuff like kitchen units can be banked away to offset against capital gains later when selling which is fine, but it's not clear which of my expenses I can claim as a pre-let fixing to make it safe/live-able property.

    The electric board is allowable as an operating expense.
    You claim it as though it was installed and paid for on the day the property is first let (which is how you account for pre-let costs like these).

    If you are adding a new kitchen, the item is a capital outlay and part of the CGT regime. If you are simply refurbishing an existing kitchen, it is a repair (operating) cost.
    By refurbishing something, you are obviously going to make it better, so there is a view to be taken, are you significantly adding to the value of the property or simply making a room up to date and in line with current expectations.
    If the former, it's betterment and has a capital allowance, if the latter, it's maintenance.

    You can't claim for your own labour time or cost against tax.
    You can get tax relief for the costs of tools.
    You can get tax relief for the costs of fixtures and fittings, but (probably) not free standing items like a fridge that's not built in.

    I'd do some research or find an accountant, as getting this right can be worth quite a lot of money.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


    Latest Activity


    • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
      by Trevor62
      Thank-you for the link.

      Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

      Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

      Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

      Because I am an old dad and my...
      19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
    • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
      by mpppen
      We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

      I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
      03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
    • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
      by Gordon999
      You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

      The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
      19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
    • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
      by Ollyn

      I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

      I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

      From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

      18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
    • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
      by ash72
      You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
      18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
    • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
      by theartfullodger
      You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

      What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
      18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
    • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
      by Gordon999
      The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

      If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

      If your annual gross...
      18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
    • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
      by banner257
      Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
      18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
    • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
      by jpkeates
      It's £1,000 each.

      Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
      18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
    • Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
      by VIKKI99
      Hi, For kids school - we need to let out our Own House and move to a rental property close to school.
      The rental money I receive from my tenants is exactly same as rent I pay on my property where I am a tenant.
      Question : Rental money I receive from Tenants - should it be considered as income...
      18-05-2022, 01:07 AM