New landlord - what can be claimed?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New landlord - what can be claimed?

    Situation: Buying a small property to let which needs some renovation work.

    1) Electric board - looks unsafe and some damage. Will get electrician to replace with MCB unit with proper RCD. Is this claimable?

    2) Planning to replace the bathroom and kitchen. I plan to do this work myself. I know new units/fittings are not claimable but can I claim for the tools as technically they're for maintenance. e.g. if I replace existing broken tiles I need a tile cutter.

    Also if the units are broken/damaged (e.g. the toilet is cracked) can I claim for replacement?

    I've read that the cost for new stuff like kitchen units can be banked away to offset against capital gains later when selling which is fine, but it's not clear which of my expenses I can claim as a pre-let fixing to make it safe/live-able property.

    The electric board is allowable as an operating expense.
    You claim it as though it was installed and paid for on the day the property is first let (which is how you account for pre-let costs like these).

    If you are adding a new kitchen, the item is a capital outlay and part of the CGT regime. If you are simply refurbishing an existing kitchen, it is a repair (operating) cost.
    By refurbishing something, you are obviously going to make it better, so there is a view to be taken, are you significantly adding to the value of the property or simply making a room up to date and in line with current expectations.
    If the former, it's betterment and has a capital allowance, if the latter, it's maintenance.

    You can't claim for your own labour time or cost against tax.
    You can get tax relief for the costs of tools.
    You can get tax relief for the costs of fixtures and fittings, but (probably) not free standing items like a fridge that's not built in.

    I'd do some research or find an accountant, as getting this right can be worth quite a lot of money.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


    Latest Activity


    • New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
      by mucker973
      Hi All,
      I have a property I used to manage myself. The tenant paid me directly and I never declared it with the taxman. Going forward I have decided to use a letting agent to manage all of this. I currently reside abroad and when filling in the forms there is question which essentially is asking...
      24-06-2022, 07:39 AM
    • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
      by DoricPixie
      Your tax situation in Australian depends on whether you’re a permanent resident/citizen or a temporary resident. If you’re a temporary resident you find yourself in tax sweet spot where HMRC doesn’t care about your Australian income and assets and the ATO doesn’t care about your UK income and...
      24-06-2022, 14:29 PM
    • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
      by Gordon999
      If you are living overseas, you must register as a non-resident landlord using NRL1 form to Tax Office if you receive rental income from a UK property. If you don't register , the letting agent is required to deduct 25% tax on any rental money paid to you.

      After being registered...
      24-06-2022, 09:31 AM
    • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
      by jpkeates

      There's a "not quite an amnesty" operating at the moment.
      24-06-2022, 09:02 AM
    • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
      by mucker973
      Thanks JPkeates, I knew you'd know!

      I've been thinking of reporting it for a while. If I declare these past "earnings" do you think I'll just have to pay the tax (if there is any) or do you think there will be any penalties? Penalties are usually applied when you are caught out...
      24-06-2022, 08:47 AM
    • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
      by jpkeates
      I don't know what the situation is with Australian tax on UK rented property, and you'd probably better enquire locally.

      There are two different things to address.
      If you've been receiving income and not declaring it, you need to own up and pay what you owe - which sounds like nothing...
      24-06-2022, 08:32 AM
    • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
      by Covent Garden Girl
      Your questions are more complicated than you imagine.

      1) Yes, firstly as a non resident landlord, the agent or indeed tenants have to deduct tax at source, or you have to send off a form, but also wait for HMRC to send confirmation that they think it is okay for you not to have the tax...
      24-06-2022, 08:17 AM
    • Reply to Are utility bills tax-deductible?
      by jpkeates
      Even if you don’t need a licence, managing an HMO can be quite onerous. You’ll need a fire risk assessment, and then to comply with its requirements as a first step.

      That usually means fire retardant doors, different door locks, hard wired fire and smoke and heat alarms for a start....
      24-06-2022, 07:08 AM
    • Are utility bills tax-deductible?
      by Bigpat
      I've had a buy-to-let on a standard Assured Shorthold Tenancy for a few years and my tax return has been pretty simple. But since last year I have also had two lodgers, staying with me at my own residential property. Now I have purchased a small additional property, which I have moved into myself and...
      21-06-2022, 14:26 PM
    • Reply to Are utility bills tax-deductible?
      by Bigpat
      Thanks. Yes I checked the local authority who said that only "large" HMOs have to be licensed, and that counts as 5 or more tenants.

      I had no idea that separate TV licences would be required. How do HMO landlords usually handle this?
      (a) should I purchase three additional...
      23-06-2022, 21:38 PM