Capital Gains Tax on property split with Expat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital Gains Tax on property split with Expat

I have a joint property investment with a friend who is non-resident (has lived in Singapore for 10+ years and is not looking to come back any time soon).
    If we sell it, I know I will be liable for Capital Gains Tax on my share as I am UK resident ::=, but will my friend be liable for any on his share?

Non-residents pay tax on the capital gain calculated as starting from 6 April 2015.

So your non-resident friend should get a valuation for the property assuming a sale on 5 April 2015 and retain for future reference. If you sell now, there is little capital gain for 3-4 months from 6th April 2015 and so probably after deducting personal allowance, your friend has Nil tax to pay.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Will they raise taxes again?
      by Gordon999
      Corporation tax for large companies ( over £250K profit ) will be raised from 19% to 25% rate commencing from April 2023.
      30-11-2021, 21:35 PM
    • Will they raise taxes again?
      by JK0
      My accountant just finished my 2020/21 tax return, and my income is half of the previous year. I did not think it would be quite that bad. (Half my tenants moved out, and I had a job to replace them. Plus had to get fourteen EICR's!)

I'm guessing you guys are in a similar boat. Never mind...
      27-11-2021, 20:20 PM
    • Reply to Corporation Tax
      by Gordon999
      There seems to be 2 problems ( I am not an accountant ) :

(1.) The company has to pay £30,000 tax due to revaluation of property asset increased higher by £150,000 ( estimated). Does it have the cash in its bank account to pay ?

( 2) husband owns one third interest of property...
      30-11-2021, 14:09 PM
      by theartfullodger
      Taxes bound to go up, huge amounts to pay for Covid & BR*X*it. Death & taxes, death & taxes.

Holding off working out my position, wishing to remain cheerful for Christmas.

Best wishes to all...
      28-11-2021, 10:45 AM
      by Neelix
      ^^ please don’t take this the wrong way but £10 k down on what turnover or number of properties?

i’ve done a lot of EICRs and remedial work over the last 18 months and a lot of it was because properties hadn’t been inspected and some were just dangerous....
      28-11-2021, 10:29 AM
      by jpkeates
      I'm about £10k down and it's mostly electrical work.

I can't see this government putting up taxes anymore before the next election, although there's nothing to say that they won't figure out how to tax landlords more specifically - there's few votes lost there.

My candidate...
      28-11-2021, 10:07 AM
      by Neelix
      That's a lots of unsatisfactory EICR's and remedial work - so not annual costs!...
      28-11-2021, 09:00 AM
      by Neelix
      Wow.

So that must be lots of unsatisfactory reports and lots of remedial work.

so not annual Costa...
      28-11-2021, 08:31 AM
      by jpucng62
      Clearly you were a bit behind on your electrical work!...
      28-11-2021, 06:58 AM
      by JK0
      The EICR's cost around £12k in total....
      27-11-2021, 22:48 PM
    Working...
    X