Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying cash for property and then taking out Buy to Let Mortage

Hi
    Estate agent has made it clear that the vendor will accept a cash offer, otherwise the risk is to get into a bidding war with 2 other people. I am looking to get the cash through loans from family and parents. If i am able to purchase the house, my aim would to be take a mortgage out on it as soon as possible so i can repay the loan.

Will it be difficult to get a mortage (but to let) on a house that i own to repay the loans from friends?

Is there anything i need to do from a tax or HMRC point of view regarding the loan and then the repayment? I am thinking if i need to explain how I funded purchase to hmrc onnce i submit S/A a few years down the line.

You won't be able to mortgage the property (almost certainly) for six months.
    That's a policy most lenders use, so it's theoretically flexible, but I have no experience of that.

You will need to be sure you will qualify for a BTL mortgage in 6 month's time.
    Most mortgage offers last three to six month's so it's worth applying now.

Getting a BTL mortgage (if you and the property qualify) will take less time than the searches and other admin associated with the conveyancing, so there's nothing to stop you bidding as a cash buyer and changing your mind. Having no chain is normally a buyers best leverage, no one cares where the money comes from.

HMRC won't need an explanation.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

There should not be a problem with deducting the BTL interest from the rental income.

If you are paying interest to friends, that will be deductible also. But they might have to pay tax depending on their circumstances.

Comment

Subsequent to the other responses, I can confirm that a remortgage is normally available after 6 months ownership and registered with the Land Registry, however there are indeed a few who will accept such applications after three months: there are no issues so far as the lender is concerned in releasing monies for the repayment of monies borrowed to fund the acquisition and the associated costs .

The lender will not accept a mortgage application until the minimum ownership eligibility has passed and as already mentioned the mortgage offer is normally valid for three months although there are a couple who have a six months validity period just like with residential homeowner loans.

So far as processing times are concerned , the main stream lenders are now being far more efficient in their processing and it is now the norm for a properley packaged application to be converted to an approved loan within three weeks.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          JP Keates
          I wasn't aware that refurbishment deductions only applied in terms of letting out the property. On the CGT calculator it asked 'How much have you spent on improvements since you became the property owner'.....

Here's the timeline:

March 1982 - 1992 3 Owners,...
          07-12-2021, 18:01 PM
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          JP Keates et al - thank you very much for your assistance. I have this afternoon emailed an accountant to try and get an appointment urgently. I hadn't realised it was all so complicated and it was remiss of me to not be aware of the CGT changes made in 2020 due to not renting out the property. Thanks...
          07-12-2021, 17:28 PM
          by jpkeates
          Refurbishment while you were living there is only allowable against CGT if it was solely and exclusively for the business, so if it was to prepare the property to be let, it would be OK.
          If it was simply to improve what was then your home, it fails the basic test.

Get yourself to...
          07-12-2021, 16:22 PM
        • Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
          06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
          by AndrewDod
          The probate resets a lot of the stuff, but my main response was unapproved
          07-12-2021, 15:36 PM
          by AndrewDod
          You are really short on detail:

Date (year & month) bought in joint names ______ (what % was yours then)
          Date it converted to your sole name ______ (presumable date of death of parent 2?)
          Declared vale at probate _________
          Capital expenses between date of probate 2...
          07-12-2021, 15:33 PM
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          We were all joint owners. Bought it with parents. I lived there for 10 years before buying own home. I became sole owner upon their deaths. Rented out since 2007-2019. Empty last two year as trying to sell. Hence I was off the landlord radar. I am now extremely worried by your statement that refurbishment...
          07-12-2021, 14:53 PM
          by AndrewDod
          Let us know the exact timescale and money involved year by year - I am sure some kind person (or even myself) with do a calculation for you so that you can assess the risks involved
          07-12-2021, 14:33 PM
          by AndrewDod
          When you lived there did you OWN it (ot did your parents own it). Ownership by your parents and residence by them is irrelevant to your CGT calculation. Sounds as if it was rented out all the time that you owned it.

Highly unlikely that over that timescale the CGT would be negligible "up...
          07-12-2021, 14:32 PM
          by Gordon999
          It seems to me your capital gains tax problem is rather complex and requires some help from a tax accountant. But before contacting the tax accountant , you need to collect all of the information.

(a) Your "total capital gain" = your property sale proceeds ( Jan 2021)
          07-12-2021, 14:09 PM
        Working...
        X