capital gains allowance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

capital gains allowance

I have a property which I bought 18 years ago for my parents to move near me. I have to sell now, and I understand I will need to pay capital gains tax. I read somewhere that the capital gains allowance could be doubled if assets are transferred to a spouse. Does this apply to a property? And if so how do i do this? Thank you

Yes, an inter-spousal transfer prior to disposal could enable the use of 2x Annual Exempt Amount (AEA), and the other spouse's 18% CGT tax band.

AEA is £11,000 for 2014-15 and £11,100 for 2015-16.

AEA is available for all CGT disposals including properties.

However, if it was ever your home, then such a transfer could INCREASE the CGT liability.

If the property is mortgaged, Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) could be payable.

If your parents living in the house was/is part of some family arrangement, the circumstances and/or paperwork should be reviewed to check whether a Trust (written or unwritten, express or implied) was involved. This is a complex area and professional advice could be useful.

Comment

Thank you King Maker.
      It was nothing complicated, and I never lived there. They just moved from another part of the country to be near us; I bought the flat, while they were waiting to sell their home.
      I understand from what you say that I can transfer. Would I need to transfer half of the property then, to use two AEAs? Do I need a solicitor to do this? If so, would you be able to tell me roughly how much would it cost, and how long would it take?

Comment

You would need to transfer some share of the beneficial interest in the property, although it need not be 50%. A calculation would be required based on the exact numbers.

A DoT (Declaration of Trust) can achieve the objective - it has to be drawn up by a solicitor or barrister (if a fee is to be charged). Have you contacted your own solicitor on the matter?

However, it is important to realise that you will be giving away some of your property. A re-gift back to you could cast doubt on the validity of the first gift. Ideally, the sale proceeds should go into sole bank accounts.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          JP Keates
          I wasn't aware that refurbishment deductions only applied in terms of letting out the property. On the CGT calculator it asked 'How much have you spent on improvements since you became the property owner'.....

Here's the timeline:

March 1982 - 1992 3 Owners,...
          07-12-2021, 18:01 PM
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          JP Keates et al - thank you very much for your assistance. I have this afternoon emailed an accountant to try and get an appointment urgently. I hadn't realised it was all so complicated and it was remiss of me to not be aware of the CGT changes made in 2020 due to not renting out the property. Thanks...
          07-12-2021, 17:28 PM
        • Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
          06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
          by jpkeates
          Refurbishment while you were living there is only allowable against CGT if it was solely and exclusively for the business, so if it was to prepare the property to be let, it would be OK.
          If it was simply to improve what was then your home, it fails the basic test.

Get yourself to...
          07-12-2021, 16:22 PM
          by AndrewDod
          The probate resets a lot of the stuff, but my main response was unapproved
          07-12-2021, 15:36 PM
          by AndrewDod
          You are really short on detail:

Date (year & month) bought in joint names ______ (what % was yours then)
          Date it converted to your sole name ______ (presumable date of death of parent 2?)
          Declared vale at probate _________
          Capital expenses between date of probate 2...
          07-12-2021, 15:33 PM
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          We were all joint owners. Bought it with parents. I lived there for 10 years before buying own home. I became sole owner upon their deaths. Rented out since 2007-2019. Empty last two year as trying to sell. Hence I was off the landlord radar. I am now extremely worried by your statement that refurbishment...
          07-12-2021, 14:53 PM
          by AndrewDod
          Let us know the exact timescale and money involved year by year - I am sure some kind person (or even myself) with do a calculation for you so that you can assess the risks involved
          07-12-2021, 14:33 PM
          by AndrewDod
          When you lived there did you OWN it (ot did your parents own it). Ownership by your parents and residence by them is irrelevant to your CGT calculation. Sounds as if it was rented out all the time that you owned it.

Highly unlikely that over that timescale the CGT would be negligible "up...
          07-12-2021, 14:32 PM
          by Gordon999
          It seems to me your capital gains tax problem is rather complex and requires some help from a tax accountant. But before contacting the tax accountant , you need to collect all of the information.

(a) Your "total capital gain" = your property sale proceeds ( Jan 2021)
          07-12-2021, 14:09 PM
        Working...
        X