Maximizing retirement income

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Maximizing retirement income

    can anyone offer me some sensible advice,
    i currently own 4 properties that i let out,

    i am soon to retire and wondered what the situation is regarding paying national insurance contributions on my income

    the properties are owned 50/50 with my wife . She will have a small work pension but i will only have the income from the properties,.

    We will both be under the legal retirement age

    Would i have to pay national insurance as well as tax, if so would it be better for me to set up as a sole trader and pay it this way

    i have scoured the web but cant find any sensible advice
    Last edited by danmay; 22-03-2015, 11:05 AM. Reason: added some extra clarity

    I was reading up on this the other day. See below.


      I've not paid NI since reaching state pension age.
      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


        Thanks for the link, i forgot to mention that i am still 10 years off the state retirement age so the no contribution rule i think still applies


          It is most unlikely that a rental business will amount to a trade, so Class 4 NIC should not apply.

          However, Class 2 NIC might apply. This could be somewhat academic if the Budget 2015 proposal to abolish Class 2 goes ahead.


            How many years contributions have you made so far. I think if 35 years you do not need any more (on current rules) payments to recieve full state pension. So if you've worked from 18 to 55(37 years) you should be ok.


              Cautionary tale:

              The wife gets a bit less that full state pension due to incomplete NI payments, and she reached state pension age before me (blatant sex discrimination btw...). I topped mine up with £££££ as when I did top up rules said I should... Govt changed the rules, I had not needed to & would have got what I get, full state pension.

              Moral: They get you, one way or another....
              I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


                yes i have pad in for 35 years , i was more concerned about if i have to continue to pay and if i did would i be liable to pay


                  Go to & ask for a pension estimate:They'll tell you how you stand re. contributions (and also their records are different from yours - eg I found I'd worked for someone for 2 years who had my NI down with 1 digit wrong: Bet when you look at your payslip there's only one number you usually check..)


                  At some point, with benefits spend being more than 50% on old people (me included) some chancellor is going to start cracking down on the real benefit costs, not fiddle round the edges being unpleasant to the disabled or hard-of-thinking as now......

                  I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


                  Latest Activity


                  • SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                    by BIGGYBIBIG
                    Hello everyone,
                    I have had an offer accepted on a property purchase, subject to a surveyors report of £395,000 in England.

                    I am currently looking at surveyors but i just wanted to know where i stand in terms of stamp duty, costs etc.

                    I have phoned 5 different solicitors
                    10-08-2022, 19:20 PM
                  • Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                    by DoricPixie
                    It’s not 3% but an additional 3% on top of the SDLT you’d pay if you didn’t already own another residential dwelling.

                    I see you’ve found someone who can help you. You are correct that there are a number of solicitors who don’t understand the SDLT rules for the higher rate of...
                    14-08-2022, 00:02 AM
                  • Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                    by BIGGYBIBIG
                    Well after emailing and chatting to around 20 solicitors and accountants i finally found someone who specializes in these matters.

                    Took a lot of time and effort but instead of over £21,000+ its actually £9,250 which is a saving of £12k, phew just shows you that many solicitors have little...
                    13-08-2022, 18:25 PM
                  • Sunday Times Report 7 Aug 2022 ( on Welsh holiday lets.)
                    by Gordon999
                    This report was about a retired solicitor living in Cardiff , with 2 holiday lets in Solva , Pembrokeshire. His properties only let for around 18 weeks a year but Welsh Government require 26 weeks letting to qualify for business rates. The increase in council tax to treble rate compared to rate...
                    13-08-2022, 17:22 PM
                  • Giving/Gifting House to Kids
                    by Tony-Edwards
                    Elderly parents in early 80s, one in not so good health.

                    Lived in the same home (no mortgage etc) for 50+ years - now worth approx £180,000 - £200,000 and they have minimal savings.

                    Looking ahead, if one has to go into care (or council provided home care) I understand there...
                    11-08-2022, 11:12 AM
                  • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
                    by gnvqsos

                    Did the labouring job jeopardise his position at Royal Mail? lt is strange no contingency fund was taken on holiday.. I don't think it makes sense to purchase, and insure/maintain a camper van to save on 7 days accommodation.The typical cost including depreciation exceeds...
                    13-08-2022, 14:54 PM
                  • Expense Categories
                    by philrosenberg
                    I'm just in the process of buying my first property as a Ltd company and I have gotten FreeAgent accounting software free with my bank account.

                    I have a list of categories to assign to my expenses, but they aren't all that relevant to residential property businesses. I wondered if others...
                    13-08-2022, 10:53 AM
                  • Reply to Expense Categories
                    by theartfullodger
                    The old saw was that you had 3 sets of accounts....
                    ​​​​​​- one for yourself
                    - 2nd for tax man
                    - 3rd for wife/husband/partner
                    How does your chosen software handle this?...
                    13-08-2022, 12:14 PM
                  • Higher rate LTT or not?
                    by AddictedMonster
                    Hi my partner and I are looking to sell one of our rentals and our residential property and buy a larger property.

                    I'm confused whether we will be charged the higher rate land transaction tax due to owning a third property that we own that will not be sold as of yet. It was our previous...
                    13-08-2022, 11:26 AM
                  • Reply to Higher rate LTT or not?
                    by AddictedMonster
                    Thank you very much. I appreciate the information.
                    13-08-2022, 12:04 PM