Self-Assessment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-Assessment

I used an accountant to do previous returns but thought I'd make a saving doing it myself. I justs have a few questions;

1. If I declare a rental income and made a small loss last year can I carry it forward?
    2. I (well my wife) received Child benefit thogh I fell into the bewteen £50K and £60K bracket. As we are looking at financial year 2013/14 I was on £53K from April 2013 until a pay rise in November to £58K. I received Child Benefit of £1,680 (£140/month) so wonder if I need to declare all this or just proportion the fact that for 8 months (April to November 2013) I should have received 30% Child Benefit (£126) and then after November 2013-end March 2014 I should not have received 80% (so £448) so I have a tax liability of £574?

Any help gratefully received.

Blighty

1. Yes
    2. Declare it all. AFAIK, it's on the yearly income amount - so you could, for instance, not work for 11 months and then get a job earning £750k pa (£60k per month) in the last month - and have to pay back the child benefit for the whole year.

Comment

Emwithme,

Thanks and it was what I was thinking would be the case. I guess I can't of- set property income loss against Child Benefit (ever the optimist)?.

Blighty

Comment

I believe (but I'm not an accountant YET...give me 2 1/2 years) that you can offset property income loss against PAYE so I don't see that it wouldn't offset against a CB liability (or whatever it is they're calling it)

Comment

Unlike a company, an individual CANNOT set a Rental Loss against other income. It can only be carried forward.

Comment

Thanks. I shall add that to the memory banks. Only started my accountancy course (AAT) in September so am 3/5 of the way through Level 2. Don't really do anything substantive until next year! This year's very much a foundation level.

Comment

Google search "hmrc + child benefit" and you will find a HMRC calculator which may help you.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Damaged artwork expense
                by jtufty
                Hi all

Silly minor question really. Last week the tenant accidentally knocked a framed picture off the wall and smashed it. It was only a cheap thing (I guess value was £10). I went out and bought a replacement picture for her. (I know I didnt have to, but shes a good tenant). I bought...
                24-09-2021, 10:35 AM
              • Reply to Damaged artwork expense
                by ram

As per above, as the place is "part-furnished", which will not incude pictures on walls.

It's a gift to a stranger. ( They are not family, not close friends - etc. ) and not a claimable expence in any way..
                25-09-2021, 16:05 PM
                by nukecad
                I'd see this as an altruistic gift to your tenant and leave it at that.

My previous LL (although he had his faults) used to buy the 3 of us in his small HMO a £20 case of beer each at Christmas, I doubt he tried to claim it off tax.
                25-09-2021, 15:46 PM
                by jtufty
                Its let "part-furnished". (she didnt have a bed, so I put a bed in there, and the white goods, and the [now-broken] picture and a few other bits n bobs)...
                25-09-2021, 15:13 PM
                by Section20z
                You don't need to write anything. Retain the receipt and just include the appropriate amount in youR expenses/capital totals...
                25-09-2021, 13:57 PM
                by ram

We assume the place is let as furnished ?

I don't think pictures are classed as furniture / but then again, a mirror screwed to the wall - if broken by the tenant, then the tenant pays.
                So pictures ? not sure.
                I would charge the tenant the cost of replacement.
                25-09-2021, 11:43 AM
                by jtufty
                Thanks guys. I dont know what came over me! A momentary wave of altruism. Most unlike me!

I have the receipt. What should I log it as? Should I literally just write "capital expense" or should I be more specific such as "replacement of broken picture"?
                25-09-2021, 06:45 AM
                by jpkeates
                It's a replacement item of furniture and its allowable as such.
                There's an inevitable element of betterment when you replace one thing with another.

And £40 is neither here nor there as a capital item.
                24-09-2021, 13:16 PM
                by Section20z
                That sounds definitely like an improvement as you didn't have to splash out £50 you crazy dude.
                £10 down to repairs and £40 capital expense I reckon.
                24-09-2021, 11:59 AM
              • Reply to Let Property Campaign.
                by armour
                No Neelix, I don't approve of tax evasion.

As it happens, I am the friend who has convinced the lady that it was best all round if she made a clean breast of it and fessed up as soon as possible via the Let Property Campaign and am using such talants as I posess to help her to do so....
                23-09-2021, 07:46 AM
              Working...
              X