Taxed on 'actual basis' & declaring income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxed on 'actual basis' & declaring income

Recently rented out a flat of which I (higher rate taxpayer) own 10% and my wife (basic rate taxpayer) owns 90%. Have completed Form 17 but my question is, when we come to fill in tax return do we declare 50% on my tax return and 50% on my wife's or do we declare the income in 10%/90% proportion?

Thanks

Originally posted by meister View Post
    when we come to fill in tax return do we declare 50% on my tax return and 50% on my wife's or do we declare the income in 10%/90% proportion?
    Unless maybe you are paying the rent income 50:50 into sole accounts owned by you and your wife, why would you think you shouldn't declare the income 10%/90%?

Comment

If your Form 17 was submitted to Tax office on 1st Feb 2015, then your rental income would be apportioned 50% for 10 months and 10% for 2 months if rental started in April 2014.

Comment

For a property jointly owned by spouses, it's 50:50 until a valid Form 17 is in effect, then it's 10:90.

For sole ownership, it's 100:0 until the DoT, then 10:90 - although there can be problems, if the property is mortgaged.

Comment

Kingmaker does that apply even if the house is owned as Tenants in Common in whatever share?

Comment

It depends on whether the Legal ownership is held jointly or solely.

Comment

Legal ownership will be joint (me and Mr Emwithme - married couple). If we own as Tenants in Common with unequal shares, will that proof of ownership be OK for tax purposes? If we have to file a Form 17 anyway, we may as well buy as Joint Tenants.

Comment

Yes, you should be able to use the LR forms to establish the unequal shares. Then file form 17 within the 60 day Time Limit.

Comment

But, just to be clear here... If a married couple own properties as Tenants in Common with unequal shares, recorded as such in deeds of trust (on file but never submitted to HMRC), and have declared the rental income in the appropriate proportions for years, are they potentially screwed if they have never filed this Form 17?

Comment

For Form 17 the relevant steps are :

1. Are the co-owners married/civil partners? If not, Form 17 is not relevant.

2. Are the co-owners the Legal owners? If only one spouse is the Legal owner, Form 17 is not relevant. A DoT is needed to alter the 100% split.

3.If the married couple are joint Legal owners, the rental profit is automatically split 50:50.

4. If the married joint Legal owners want any other rental split than 50:50, a DoT (Declaration of Trust) is needed AND Form 17 must be submitted to HMRC within 60 days.

5. The only other option for married joint Legal owners is to have a DoT for a split of (say) 99:1 and NOT complete a Form 17. If so, the income split REMAINS 50:50.

However, it is important to review the CGT and SDLT positions and continuing deductibility of interest for mortgaged properties.

Comment

Sorry if I'm being stupid (but I was once told the only stupid question is the one you don't ask)...

Does it make a difference if the house is owned as Joint Tenants (so automatically assumed to be a 50:50 split) or as Tenants in Common (with a differently designated split)?

Mr Emwithme is working, I am not. I will do 90% of the "work" for the BTL property (and have done at least 90% of the "finding"). Our initial plan was to hold the BTL as Tenants in Common (90:10) but we have to file a Form 17 anyway we may as well hold it as Joint Tenants (for ease of future transferability of tax liability)?

Comment

emwithme,

The only thing you have to worry about with Joint Tenants v Tenants in Common is:

Joint tenants - automatically on your death, your 50% goes to the surviving tenant. If you have tenants in common, you can both leave your share of the property to who ever you want in your Will. You still need to do the Form 17 regardless of joint or tenants in common if you want to vary the split in percentages.

Comment

wonderful, fabulous, thank you.

We'll hold them as JTs then, just makes it easier (even though wills are sorted) for future purposes.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is changing carpets to laminate flooring tax deductible?
                            by jpkeates
                            I find that using expensive and long lasting underlay under cheaper carpet works best.
                            It feels nice and luxurious and insulates well, and replacing the carpet is less traumatic on the bank balance.
                            30-05-2020, 12:25 PM
                          • Is changing carpets to laminate flooring tax deductible?
                            by anqi_z
                            Hello,

Carpets in a let property has worn out and I am considering to replace it with laminate flooring.
                            Could anyone advise if this will be tax deductible (assume this won't be considered as improvement)?

Thank you....
                            25-05-2020, 19:16 PM
                          • Flipping a property
                            by Gray
                            My son and I are thinking of buying a property together and renovating it. We were intending to rent it out but now are thinking about just selling it again once work is finished. If we purchase property in three names (our’s and his partner’s), we would get three capital gains allowances is that...
                            18-05-2020, 17:53 PM
                          • Reply to Flipping a property
                            by Jerome2020
                            It's not strictly true that a company must be used where there are more than four owners. Where there are more than four parties with an interest in a property, the first named four are treated as holding the land on Trust for the remaining beneficial owners; good documentation is essential to avoid...
                            30-05-2020, 11:56 AM
                            by blinko
                            Yeah I prefer carpet too, but the rate at which tenants seem to be able to destroy carpet compared to laminate.....
                            30-05-2020, 11:50 AM
                            by Lawcruncher
                            Funny how fashions change. Fifty years ago having fitted carpet had a social cachet, now everyone wants laminate flooring. I know it looks nice, but so do carperts. It is fine in a conservatory with cane furniture, but it makes a lounge look clinical. It also increases your central heating costs.
                            30-05-2020, 07:51 AM
                            by Gordon999
                            Land Registry only allows 4 names maximum on the property title.

If more than 4 names , you would need to register under company name and the members in the group become shareholders.

The members can be shareholders with one £1 share each and the company borrows the funds...
                            30-05-2020, 05:59 AM
                            by jpkeates
                            If the property title was a joint tenancy, anyone not contributing to the purchase would have received the ownership as a gift and would be an owner as a matter of fact.
                            29-05-2020, 16:26 PM
                            by jpkeates
                            OK, that makes a lot more sense.

The HMRC guidance is focussed on improvements like new rooms or new bathrooms rather than more mundane changes.

I would probably focus equally on the amount of the difference rather than the ratio - £500 is neither here nor there for tax purposes,...
                            29-05-2020, 16:16 PM
                            by Stew
                            thanks - interesting reading
                            29-05-2020, 15:32 PM
                          Working...
                          X