Will I have tp pay tax?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tax Accountant
    Is this house your only home? Is it being used as your residence? Will you be renting a property for yourself to live in when you go to the Uni? Will you be using your current home during vacations etc?

    If the answer to all the above is YES:

    (1) You should nominate your current home as your MAIN residence (as against the uni residence) for CGT purposes. Such a nomination needs to be made within 2 years of moving into your Uni residence. This preserves the PPR exemption for your home for if and when you come to sell it in due course even if you don't live there fulltime.

    (2) You are allowed upto £4,500 (could be £4,250) 'rent a room relief' pae tax year. If your rental income is more than this, you could calculate the profit in the normal way, ie rents less mortgage interest and other allowable expenses etc. Any excess is redused by your annual personal allowances if you don't have any other income. All in all, it seems that you will not have any income tax liability.

    Leave a comment:

  • joe
    started a topic Will I have tp pay tax?

    Will I have tp pay tax?


    Can anyone help me with this question?

    I am going to university in September and renting my house out to a couple of friends of mine while I am away for three years.

    Will I have to pay any sort of tax? I am not renting my house out for profit, I am just renting it out to cover the mortgage.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Many Thanks

Latest Activity


  • Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
    by shipboard
    I rent out a single property, during the winter storms the brickwork was damaged and the cheapest option to repair it was to render the Gable end and rear of the property. I tried to claim on the insurance but they maintained it was due to wear and tear, I am of course disputing this. My question is...
    24-05-2022, 10:04 AM
  • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
    by Another Fine Mess
    If you dont mind me suggesting, If your Insurance Company is rejecting your claim you could get in touch with a Chartered Loss Assessor who would argue with the Insurance Company Loss Adjuster, its worth a phone call to one....
    24-05-2022, 16:30 PM
  • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
    by gnvqsos
    I think the insurance company were right-the render must have been distressed to suffer storm damage. You can offset cost against income.
    24-05-2022, 14:36 PM
  • Reply to CGT query
    by Gordon999
    Hmrc rules allow transfers between spouses without cgt. The recipient spouse takes on the asset at the original purchase price.
    24-05-2022, 11:16 AM
  • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
    by Gordon999
    I agree with jpk : it is a maintenance expense which is claimed against rental income....
    24-05-2022, 11:12 AM
  • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
    by jpkeates
    I'd say that's a maintenance cost and would be allowed against income.
    It would affect the value of the property, but only to restore it to the level that it was at prior to the damage (plus the general positive effect of any large maintenance work).
    24-05-2022, 10:53 AM
  • CGT query
    by vik238754
    Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife...
    23-05-2022, 19:37 PM
  • Reply to CGT query
    by jpkeates
    What you are planning to do is routine and HMRC will accept the change as a matter of routine admin.
    24-05-2022, 09:13 AM
  • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
    by mpppen
    We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

    I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
    03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
  • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
    by Trevor62
    I like the Idea of knowing that my children will get my property oneday but would like to avoid as much interaction from these legal people as possible....
    23-05-2022, 17:36 PM