Wear and Tear allowance, changing from Part Furn to Fully Furnished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wear and Tear allowance, changing from Part Furn to Fully Furnished

Hi, I am aware that you can only claim wear and tear for fully furnished properties. I started with a part furnished property, providing bed, mattress, fitted wardrobe, blinds, sofa, rug, washing machine and fridge freezer. The tenants had their own dining table and chairs, cooking stuff cutlery and bedroom drawers. Having looked at what I can claim for Part Furnished it seems that I can only claim 'renewals' under the 'repairs' section. This is fine.
    However when the tenants moved out I bought their furniture from them (they were moving to SAfrica), and the flat is now rented out fully furnished. I intend to keep the property like this and keep renting it out fully furnished and so would like to start claiming wear and tear instead of 'renewals'.
    I have seen a number of things online to say, once you claim 'renewals' that's it for the duration you own the property, you can't start claiming 10% wear and tear, as you can't switch from one to the other. But I haven't found anything on the HMRC website to say this.
    Anyone got any idea if this is true, and if it still applies if you have become fully furnished?
    Thanks!!

The issue is that you would be claiming twice.

The 10% allowance is in place of the replacement / repair allowance, and once you've claimed the latter you can't claim the former.
    As far a I know, you can't claim the 10% allowance on "some of" the furnishings in a property.

You have been actually been following the rules for a furnished property anyway, so you can just carry on using the same regime.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Sorry to crash this thread, but you sound knowledgeable JPK.

I have a furnished property where I claim the 10%, but the furniture is getting old & tired, so I am considering discarding it for the next tenancy.

Will I have a problem with not claiming the 10% any more?

Comment

HMRC love people not claiming allowances, they might send you a plaque!

If you're switching to unfurnished, it doesn't matter, you just stop claiming the 10%

I've no actual experience of this, and I'm much less certain of this than the situation in the OP's question.

I don't think so.

You've had a set of items that you have been claiming wear and tear relief on.
        These are unlikely to all simultaneously have reached 10 years old at the perfect point and be totally exhausted from a tax point of view.

So let's imagine that you decide to replace everything (assuming that that's actually possible - everything not bolted to the structure seems a lot), some of the items will have had the benefit of some allowance and therefore you can't claim for their replacement.

You might be able to make an argument that you have a replaced everything and change the basis if you only claimed the replacement value on items over 10 years old, but this seems a little constructed to me.
        And you're meant to be consistent across your tax return, so doing this for one of a number of properties would be problematic though.

Confidence is about 65% on this one though.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I haven't actually claimed for anything yet, so I haven't been following rules for furnished property. I am just doing the first tax return for it for 2013/14.

Ok, I've been doing a lot more trawling through HMRC documents...

I've just found the following on the HMRC PIM3230 doc under Furnished Lettings 2012/13 and earlier..
          'Under the terms of the concession, whatever basis is chosen had to be followed consistently. It was not possible to chop and change between the wear and tear allowance and the renewals allowance from year to year.'

As this isn't included in the 2013/14 HMRC notes, I'm wondering if it still applies?

Looking at the tax form as it is, there isn't a box just for replacement/repair allowance.

There is a box for 'Property Repairs, Maintenance and Renewals' which looks like it covers cost of Repairs and Maintenence of the building (roof, painting exterior, damp repair etc). And then 'Renewals' of small items -like cutlery, not furniture. In the notes it says: The renewals allowance for the cost of replacing furniture, furnishings or machinery is no longer available for 2013–14 and the years that follow. For more information read PIM3230 in the Property Income Manual. Go to hmrc.gov.uk/manualsa-z

As this says this 'Renewals Allowance' is no longer available for 2013/14, again I'm wondering if the system has changed.. and you can now switch from not claiming Wear and Tear (as an unfurnished, or part furnished) to claiming it (as a fully furnished)? Otherwise, if you start as unfurnished, you would never be able to claim for any cost of furniture replacement/wear and tear, if you became furnished in the future...

Thanks

Comment

As per my responses above, I don't see how you could practically even if you wanted to and it was allowed.

The notes about furniture, furnishings and machinery is because HMRC have removed a previously established policy that said that these items could be allowed for under the repair/replacement option, and now they are not allowable.

Following the 10% rule is pretty much a no brainer for most furnished property landlords as so much of what is in the property falls into that category.
            It used to be a complicated decision, but it's not so much any more.

I'm not actually sure why the questions arises from the OP (while I can see JKO's point entirely).
            Are you looking for a loophole of some kind.
            Last edited by jpkeates; 16-01-2015, 19:29 PM. Reason: Made a reference to a different tax regime

Comment

Hi, Thanks for the reply,

No I'm not trying to look for a loophole.

I thought that you can only claim 10% Wear and Tear, on Fully Furnished properties. As I am doing the accounts for when it was Part Furnished at the moment I can't claim this. I was just wondering what happens when I do my accounts for next year, as my property is now Fully Furnished and whether I could then start claiming Wear and Tear.

Further more, from what I've read, the 10% Wear and Tear allowance is based on the rental income, but it sounds from what you are saying you believe it to be the cost of the furniture etc?

Comment

The 10% is definitely calculated on the rental income.
                However it's to cover the costs associated with the wear and tear (essentially depreciation) on specific things.

I've edited my post because what I posted said the opposite, which was stupid.
                I copied a paragraph that I didn't intend to include.
                Many apologies.

Your "part furnished" property (for tax purposes) is either furnished or not.
                There's no half way house for tax.

I'd have thought that the 10% option is better long term (and the repair/replace option better this year)?

Comment

Hi thanks
                  I've realised my initial question wasn't very clear at all!! When i said that I wondered if I could claim renewals, and then wear and tear when it was fully furnished, I meant in the next tax year, rather than on the same return. So yes, what you say I could claim Renewals one year then Wear and Tear in the future.

My main initial query was because I have read on a couple of sites that you have to choose either renewal or W&T for the duration of the property ownership! So you couldn't choose one one yr and a different one the next. Which I'm not sure is true, that's why I was searching through HMRC docs to find where they say that.

Having read what I've read, I'm pretty convinced that you can switch. Sorry my question was so jumbled!!!

Comment

My belief is that you can't switch from tax year to tax year.
                    I'm confident of that in the situation you describe, less so in the unusual situation JKO outlined.

I also suspect that HMRC would expect the same approach across your property business not varying by property. Which might actually give JKO his answer as well.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent 2 Rent Tax Return
                      by dhoops97
                      This is really helpful. My dad has changed the tenancy agreement and named me as landlord, so all payments are made to me. Therefore, all I need to do is declare all the income in the year as income and any payments to my dad, as expenses?

Also, does this need to be in writing. At the moment...
                      03-08-2021, 16:32 PM
                    • Rent 2 Rent Tax Return
                      by dhoops97
                      Hi,

I'm currently receiving the rental income for my dads properties. I'm currently fully managing the properties for him and the tenants are paying the rent into my account. Once I receive the rent, I pay my dad a fixed amount and I keep the rest. Is this legal? And if so, do I pay tax...
                      03-08-2021, 14:24 PM
                    • Reply to Rent 2 Rent Tax Return
                      by jpkeates
                      It's legal.

If you're named as the landlord on the tenancy agreements, your business is rent to rent.
                      The amount you pay your father is a business expense, so you'll end up paying tax on the profit, but you need to declare the full amount as income and the payment to your father as...
                      03-08-2021, 14:44 PM
                    • Reply to HMRC Section 36 notice
                      by Neelix
                      If you were unemployed and receiving benefits and didn’t tell them you may need to brace yourself for contact from the DWP too...
                      03-08-2021, 10:01 AM
                    • HMRC Section 36 notice
                      by KILOCHARLIE
                      Wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these please?

I received a letter from HMRC a few months ago stating they were investigating my property affairs. I was told I could provide documentation regarding it to help but if I didn’t wish then they would complete the check on...
                      02-08-2021, 08:50 AM
                    • Reply to Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
                      by spikeg33
                      I know it’s 1% difference but was really asking what the legal implications are of either transferring it into 100/0 or 99/1. I’m not an expert in this field in any way shape or form and am merely asking for advice....
                      03-08-2021, 09:10 AM
                    • Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
                      by spikeg33
                      I would appreciate some advice on getting our one rental property transferred into my beneficial interest as I have recently retired and now have the whole of my tax allowance to use against the rental income. I have researched and researched but would like some clarification about what to do . At present...
                      02-08-2021, 14:07 PM
                      by theartfullodger
                      Difference between 100:0 & 99:1?? 1%.
                      03-08-2021, 09:02 AM
                      by spikeg33
                      Thank you jpkeates for your advice. I will now proceed with 99/1 and happy that you have clarified the situation for me....
                      03-08-2021, 08:51 AM
                    • Reply to HMRC Section 36 notice
                      by Section20z
                      In your shoes I think I would be asking for a personal interview (maybe on Zoom these days) so you can find out exactly what they require. In my experience I have always found them reasonable and helpful and you can always ask for a supportive friend to also be present if you're nervous.
                      Council...
                      03-08-2021, 08:06 AM
                    Working...
                    X