Submitting a self assessment for a property on joint names

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Submitting a self assessment for a property on joint names

    My husband and I rent out a property in joint names. I understand that we have to pay 50:50 tax. What I want to know is the practical bit how do we submit the self assessment.

    Do we submit 2 self assessments showing 50% of everything on both self assessments. So we take example the rent and half it and show that figure on both self assessments and likewise with all expenditure do we just half all expenses and put those figures on both self assessments.

    If this is not the right way can someone please tell me what is.

    Yes. It's s self assessment for an individual. So one each.
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

    What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.


      Check with HMRC. They like LLs who talk to them first.


        When you start renting property, you're meant to notify HMRC (in this case, both of you).
        HMRC Self Assessment Helpline : 0300 200 3310
        They will be very busy at the moment!

        If you earn more than £2,500 per year (after allowances) you need to fill in a self assessment tax return each.
        Even if you don't, you need to tell HMRC (and they may insist that you do anyway).

        If you have been renting property for a few years and not paid tax, there's a current "program" to assist you back to the straight and narrow.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


          Yes, you will be taxed on 50% of the Net Profit. So each of you will need to advise HMRC accordingly - either via Self Assessment, or by letter if the profit is less than £2500 and the rent is less than £10,000.

          I suggest you contact HMRC.


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to Rent 2 Rent Tax Return
            by dhoops97
            This is really helpful. My dad has changed the tenancy agreement and named me as landlord, so all payments are made to me. Therefore, all I need to do is declare all the income in the year as income and any payments to my dad, as expenses?

            Also, does this need to be in writing. At the moment...
            03-08-2021, 16:32 PM
          • Rent 2 Rent Tax Return
            by dhoops97

            I'm currently receiving the rental income for my dads properties. I'm currently fully managing the properties for him and the tenants are paying the rent into my account. Once I receive the rent, I pay my dad a fixed amount and I keep the rest. Is this legal? And if so, do I pay tax...
            03-08-2021, 14:24 PM
          • Reply to Rent 2 Rent Tax Return
            by jpkeates
            It's legal.

            If you're named as the landlord on the tenancy agreements, your business is rent to rent.
            The amount you pay your father is a business expense, so you'll end up paying tax on the profit, but you need to declare the full amount as income and the payment to your father as...
            03-08-2021, 14:44 PM
          • Reply to HMRC Section 36 notice
            by Neelix
            If you were unemployed and receiving benefits and didn’t tell them you may need to brace yourself for contact from the DWP too...
            03-08-2021, 10:01 AM
          • HMRC Section 36 notice
            by KILOCHARLIE
            Wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these please?

            I received a letter from HMRC a few months ago stating they were investigating my property affairs. I was told I could provide documentation regarding it to help but if I didn’t wish then they would complete the check on...
            02-08-2021, 08:50 AM
          • Reply to Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
            by spikeg33
            I know it’s 1% difference but was really asking what the legal implications are of either transferring it into 100/0 or 99/1. I’m not an expert in this field in any way shape or form and am merely asking for advice....
            03-08-2021, 09:10 AM
          • Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
            by spikeg33
            I would appreciate some advice on getting our one rental property transferred into my beneficial interest as I have recently retired and now have the whole of my tax allowance to use against the rental income. I have researched and researched but would like some clarification about what to do . At present...
            02-08-2021, 14:07 PM
          • Reply to Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
            by theartfullodger
            Difference between 100:0 & 99:1?? 1%.
            03-08-2021, 09:02 AM
          • Reply to Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
            by spikeg33
            Thank you jpkeates for your advice. I will now proceed with 99/1 and happy that you have clarified the situation for me....
            03-08-2021, 08:51 AM
          • Reply to HMRC Section 36 notice
            by Section20z
            In your shoes I think I would be asking for a personal interview (maybe on Zoom these days) so you can find out exactly what they require. In my experience I have always found them reasonable and helpful and you can always ask for a supportive friend to also be present if you're nervous.
            03-08-2021, 08:06 AM