Rent Income on Joint Ownership Property - Can one person be nominated all the Income?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • jpkeates
    It's helpful to document how all the properties are "shared", that way your respective separate rental businesses are clearly defined.

    Have a look at the flat that you used to own if it's gone up in value, as there is usually a sweet spot taxwise where the advantages of it being previously your home are compered with with twice the available CGT allowance if you both owned it.
    It can be a complete non-starter in most cases, but it's worth a look at while you're doing tax stuff.

    Leave a comment:

  • King_Maker
    Yes, in principle, the share of the income does not have to reflect the share of the capital.

    Ideally, you should receive all of the rent into your sole account, from which the expenses are paid also.

    You may wish to consult a solicitor to draw up the relevant agreement.

    Leave a comment:

  • Rent Income on Joint Ownership Property - Can one person be nominated all the Income?


    I have a query on a property ownership and Rent.

    I own a property with my live in partner which we rent out. My partner and I are not married but have children together and live together in a jointly owned home. Separately, I also own another flat (a flat I lived in before we got together) which I rent out and do yearly tax assessment.

    Now we own another property equally which we rent out. However my partner works full time and I manage everything to do with the property letting (find tenants, check references, manage renovations and repairs - he does not get involved). I heard from someone that I can be nominated to show all the income and expenses to do with this joint property. Is this true? Or do we need to split it 50/50?

    Any advice would be much appreciated.

    Thank you


Latest Activity


  • Giving/Gifting House to Kids
    by Tony-Edwards
    Elderly parents in early 80s, one in not so good health.

    Lived in the same home (no mortgage etc) for 50+ years - now worth approx £180,000 - £200,000 and they have minimal savings.

    Looking ahead, if one has to go into care (or council provided home care) I understand there...
    11-08-2022, 11:12 AM
  • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
    by gnvqsos
    You seem to know a great deal of events in the 70s,or are you relying on hearsay?...
    19-08-2022, 16:41 PM
  • Capital Gains Tax
    by LVA
    Apologies if this has been covered in this website but I've looked and cannot find...

    I bought my flat in 1997, rented it out in 2001 (ish), returned to live in it in March 2020. Its approx 27 years ownership and 7 ish years living in it.

    My accountant tells me the CGT...
    16-08-2022, 12:59 PM
  • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
    by gnvqsos
    very basic,indeed!
    19-08-2022, 16:37 PM
  • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
    by AndrewDod
    Inflation as a form of indirect taxation is basic economics, well described in about 15 million academic articles....
    19-08-2022, 09:18 AM
  • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
    by gnvqsos

    Inflation can be corrosive but it is not a tax ,as the government do not receive a corresponding income. The government spend money derived from either tax receipts ,trading income or by borrowing through the sale of securities/bonds. Printed money is distributed by commercial...
    18-08-2022, 18:59 PM
  • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
    by Gordon999
    The capital gains is charged at 18% or 28 % rate, and this depends on your job income, which is taxed at 20% or 40% .

    Assuming the capital gains tax rate is about 25% average , your total gain is probably around 4 x £50K = £200K ( or over. )

    If you are married...
    18-08-2022, 11:26 AM
  • Reply to Overseas
    by jpkeates
    I suspect that the accountant wasn't citing the regulations, he was explaining the reality....
    18-08-2022, 11:18 AM
  • Overseas
    by jase222
    I will be moving to Spain for between 6-9months and I will obviously be paying my taxes and I spoke to a Spainish tax accountant who said the authorities won’t be interested in anybody who stays for less than a year as long as you can prove you pay tax in your own country? I’ve never heard...
    17-08-2022, 08:05 AM
  • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
    by Tony-Edwards
    It wasn't meant to question HMRC - it was a response to the rude and thoughtless comments made by some....
    18-08-2022, 09:51 AM