Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA for newbuild rental question

Hi,

We built a little house and rented it out.

As its new, I assume cost of carpets, oven/hob cannot be calimed as these are capital? (it's not furnished just carpets and integrated hob/oven)
    I read that new windows are now claimable but as they went in new and not replacing old ones, I assume these cannot be included?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

If the hob is integrated it's a fitting and a capital item.
    Carpets are furnishings and are neither capital or operating costs (and can't be claimed for) - a clever/disreputable accountant might describe them as "flooring".
    Replacement windows are maintenance (allowable against revenue), but new one's are capital.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi, thank you for the response, finally could I include the cost of felling a tree from the garden of the rental?
      Many Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gcltd View Post
        Hi, thank you for the response, finally could I include the cost of felling a tree from the garden of the rental?
        Many Thanks
        Yes - as maintenance.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
          by BIGGYBIBIG
          Hello everyone,
          I have had an offer accepted on a property purchase, subject to a surveyors report of £395,000 in England.

I am currently looking at surveyors but i just wanted to know where i stand in terms of stamp duty, costs etc.

I have phoned 5 different solicitors
          10-08-2022, 19:20 PM
        • Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
          by BIGGYBIBIG
          Again taken from HMRC website it states if (6 or more dwellings which mine is 8) it may be treated as a non residential transaction for the purposes of SDLT so will owning my own home have any effect on this?? Presumably i am thinking 1% minimum would still apply?

SDLTM29905 - Relief for

11-08-2022, 17:22 PM
        • Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
          by BIGGYBIBIG
          whilst you are correct in most cases however that is not taking into account SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
          here is a copy and paste from HMRC own website, hence the reason for the post

Example
          You buy 5 houses for £1 million.
          £1 million divided by 5 is £200,000....
          11-08-2022, 16:39 PM
        • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
          by jpkeates
          That's part of why it's worth getting professional advice - sometimes paying some CGT at 18% is more appealing than IHT at 40%.

But lots of people don't have to pay any IHT at all, and if the bulk of the estate is a £200k property it would be well under the threshold at which any tax is...
          11-08-2022, 15:15 PM
        • Giving/Gifting House to Kids
          by Tony-Edwards
          Elderly parents in early 80s, one in not so good health.

Lived in the same home (no mortgage etc) for 50+ years - now worth approx £180,000 - £200,000 and they have minimal savings.

Looking ahead, if one has to go into care (or council provided home care) I understand there...
          11-08-2022, 11:12 AM
          by Neelix
          Hum,

We know a family where the dad got a dementia diagnosis at the age of about 66 - he lived another 12 years. The cash assets of the parents were split 50/50 and these went quickly. There is a 50% charge on the house, that the wife can live in for life but can't downsize because 50%...
          11-08-2022, 15:10 PM
          by Lawcruncher
          Indeed.

These days getting professional advice does not always ensure the best advice and the advice can be very expensive. What clients whose main asset is their home should be told is:

· It is a myth that "the council can take your home to pay for care".
          11-08-2022, 14:57 PM
          by Neelix
          I'd rather my parents lived in comfort during their last years ............... clearly you don't seem to care....
          11-08-2022, 14:54 PM
          by Tony-Edwards
          At least there is a maximum lifetime amount of IIRC £86,000 now that the council can rob.

But with a property worth £180,000, by the time they've had 2 x £86,000 there's not much left is there.
          11-08-2022, 14:50 PM
          by Neelix
          Well, my late mother had sold her house so when she needed full nursing care in 2012, the £6K per month spent it fast.

I think that the 7 year period should be 20 years.

As for people who haven't saved not being penalised - have you visited many "basic" care hom...
          11-08-2022, 14:45 PM
        Working...
        X