Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming Interest on SA

Hiya,

I currently have a BTL on which I have no mortgage.
    I want to re-mortgage this property (Interest Only) and buy another BTL. I will also be taking out another BTL mortgage on the new property.
    My query is, on my SA can I claim back the Interest for both properties against my rental income?
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

What is the purpose of the 2nd BTL mortgage?

Comment

if both properties have btl mortgages and are rented out, then yes. if this is a scam to rent one and live in the other then no!

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Just for clarification. I am trying to release capital in my first BTL (which is fully paid up) and use the money as a deposit to buy a second BTL.
        If I give you some example figures:
        1. First BTL - on this I take out a BTL mortgage for say £50,000 to release capital.
        2. I use the £50,000 as a deposit on a second BTL taking out another BTL mortgage on this second property for the balance.
        I know have two BTL mortgages, on the first and second properties.
        Both will remain as rental properties.

Comment

Both should be allowable.

There is a limit to the mortgage interest that can be claimed on the existing property, which is limited to a mortgage on the original value when brought in to the business.
          If it cost £100k a few years ago and you mortgage it at £150k, only the first 2/3rds of the interest is allowable.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by ssingh View Post
            Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Just for clarification. I am trying to release capital in my first BTL (which is fully paid up) and use the money as a deposit to buy a second BTL.
            If I give you some example figures:
            1. First BTL - on this I take out a BTL mortgage for say £50,000 to release capital.
            2. I use the £50,000 as a deposit on a second BTL taking out another BTL mortgage on this second property for the balance.
            I know have two BTL mortgages, on the first and second properties.
            Both will remain as rental properties.
            Both should be deductible from the rental income.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Capital Gains Tax
              by AndrewDod
              I think the point that is being missed here is that inflation *is itself* a type of tax.

It is a tax on savings (on people who try to save so they they or their disabled child can cope without having to lean on the state instead of smoking it away).

Put simply, government...
              17-08-2022, 20:20 PM
            • Capital Gains Tax
              by LVA
              Apologies if this has been covered in this website but I've looked and cannot find...

I bought my flat in 1997, rented it out in 2001 (ish), returned to live in it in March 2020. Its approx 27 years ownership and 7 ish years living in it.

My accountant tells me the CGT...
              16-08-2022, 12:59 PM
              by gnvqsos
              I believe CGT did adjust gains in line with the RPI and also had taper relief. This was rejected in the late 90s by GB.
              17-08-2022, 18:33 PM
            • Reply to Overseas
              by jase222
              I sorted that out but but was surprised by his comments, I know all about Spainish residency as been there before , I am waiting for confirmation.
              17-08-2022, 16:41 PM
            • Overseas
              by jase222
              Hi,
              I will be moving to Spain for between 6-9months and I will obviously be paying my taxes and I spoke to a Spainish tax accountant who said the authorities won’t be interested in anybody who stays for less than a year as long as you can prove you pay tax in your own country? I’ve never heard...
              17-08-2022, 08:05 AM
            • Reply to Overseas
              by Gordon999
              If you stay in Spain for 183 days or longer , you will become tax resident for Spanish Taxes. You can find this information by online search.

You may need to obtain a certificate of tax residency from HMRC or from Spain, to avoid paying taxes twice.
              17-08-2022, 09:44 AM
              by doobrey
              Agree. CGT is supposed to be a tax on 'gains'. Like real ones. There is no 100% right/fair way of doing it but adjusting to an index wouldn't be difficult, and it would be lot better than doing nothing, as now. With the current system you can sell at a loss in real terms and still be taxed on your imaginary...
              17-08-2022, 08:19 AM
              by Flashback1966
              It is upsetting to pay tax on inflation.

That is the problem with property. With stocks and shares you can sell a bit every year to make use of the CGT allowance.

This is why there is a deterent to selling up....
              16-08-2022, 17:58 PM
              by gnvqsos
              If you a GOOD accountant they will advise on such matters-far more qualified than most forum members. If you pay £50k tax at 18pc you are taxed on £280k.Add allowance of £13k.You have made £295k gross,£245 net, and you want more? Pay your dues and count your stars(and cash)
              16-08-2022, 17:34 PM
              by jpkeates
              I wouldn't rule it out, but I think the case for anyone starting out to do it as a company is pretty overwhelming now, and that would make it more compelling....
              16-08-2022, 16:34 PM
            Working...
            X