What if your accountant makes an error?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What if your accountant makes an error?

    General hypothetical query for the sake of interest (prompted by my response to 'marplasto' just now).

    If I give all my property income and expenditure information to my accountant, all completely and utterly open and above board, and ask him to prepare my lettings accounts, what is the situation if he were then to make a fundamental mistake; eg including deductions which should not be allowed; arithmetical mistake; acting on advice which proves to be wrong? Where would that leave me, the client? Am I equally culpable in the eyes of HMRC and liable for penalties, possibly going back years if it's an ongoing issue? Am I expected to check and verify everything the accountant does, or would it be fair enough to say to HMRC 'that's what I'm paying my accountant for'?

    AFAIK, you aren't culpable. Though you should of course check his figures as far as possible for slip ups, if only to check that you aren't paying too much.

    An accountant has a 'foot in both camps'. Therefore if he makes a mistake, I believe you would only have to pay the back tax and interest.

    (Might be a different story if your accountant was arranging a tax avoidance scheme similar to the one all those pop stars recently fell foul of.)
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.


      You sign your tax return, and are liable for any errors in it.
      HMRC don't care that you subcontract the work.
      HMRC would normally be sympathetic if it wasn't your fault, but still take action to correct.

      The real risk is getting someone to admit they cocked up (and HMRC to agree it wasn't a failed avoidance scheme).

      The accountant would (hopefully) be insured against such an occurrence, and you would have to recover your loss/damages from them.
      In practice, unless it was gazillions of pounds, the accountant would probably sort it out and deal with any fines etc.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        My accountant "forgot" to transfer losses forward a couple of years in a row - done me own since
        I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


        Latest Activity


        • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
          by mpppen
          We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

          I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
          03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
        • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
          by Trevor62
          Thank-you for the link.

          Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

          Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

          Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

          Because I am an old dad and my...
          19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
          by Gordon999
          You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

          The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
          19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
        • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
          by Ollyn

          I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

          I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

          From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

          18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
          by ash72
          You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
          18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
          by theartfullodger
          You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

          What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
          18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
        • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
          by Gordon999
          The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

          If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

          If your annual gross...
          18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
        • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
          by jpkeates
          It's £1,000 each.

          Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
          18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
        • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
          by banner257
          Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
          18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
        • Reply to Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
          by Madmax86
          Rent is income. All income needs to be declared, regardless of the mortgage you have
          18-05-2022, 08:50 AM