What if your accountant makes an error?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What if your accountant makes an error?

    General hypothetical query for the sake of interest (prompted by my response to 'marplasto' just now).

    If I give all my property income and expenditure information to my accountant, all completely and utterly open and above board, and ask him to prepare my lettings accounts, what is the situation if he were then to make a fundamental mistake; eg including deductions which should not be allowed; arithmetical mistake; acting on advice which proves to be wrong? Where would that leave me, the client? Am I equally culpable in the eyes of HMRC and liable for penalties, possibly going back years if it's an ongoing issue? Am I expected to check and verify everything the accountant does, or would it be fair enough to say to HMRC 'that's what I'm paying my accountant for'?

    AFAIK, you aren't culpable. Though you should of course check his figures as far as possible for slip ups, if only to check that you aren't paying too much.

    An accountant has a 'foot in both camps'. Therefore if he makes a mistake, I believe you would only have to pay the back tax and interest.

    (Might be a different story if your accountant was arranging a tax avoidance scheme similar to the one all those pop stars recently fell foul of.)
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.


      You sign your tax return, and are liable for any errors in it.
      HMRC don't care that you subcontract the work.
      HMRC would normally be sympathetic if it wasn't your fault, but still take action to correct.

      The real risk is getting someone to admit they cocked up (and HMRC to agree it wasn't a failed avoidance scheme).

      The accountant would (hopefully) be insured against such an occurrence, and you would have to recover your loss/damages from them.
      In practice, unless it was gazillions of pounds, the accountant would probably sort it out and deal with any fines etc.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        My accountant "forgot" to transfer losses forward a couple of years in a row - done me own since
        I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


        Latest Activity


        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
          by AndrewDod
          I think the point that is being missed here is that inflation *is itself* a type of tax.

          It is a tax on savings (on people who try to save so they they or their disabled child can cope without having to lean on the state instead of smoking it away).

          Put simply, government...
          17-08-2022, 20:20 PM
        • Capital Gains Tax
          by LVA
          Apologies if this has been covered in this website but I've looked and cannot find...

          I bought my flat in 1997, rented it out in 2001 (ish), returned to live in it in March 2020. Its approx 27 years ownership and 7 ish years living in it.

          My accountant tells me the CGT...
          16-08-2022, 12:59 PM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
          by gnvqsos
          I believe CGT did adjust gains in line with the RPI and also had taper relief. This was rejected in the late 90s by GB.
          17-08-2022, 18:33 PM
        • Reply to Overseas
          by jase222
          I sorted that out but but was surprised by his comments, I know all about Spainish residency as been there before , I am waiting for confirmation.
          17-08-2022, 16:41 PM
        • Overseas
          by jase222
          I will be moving to Spain for between 6-9months and I will obviously be paying my taxes and I spoke to a Spainish tax accountant who said the authorities won’t be interested in anybody who stays for less than a year as long as you can prove you pay tax in your own country? I’ve never heard...
          17-08-2022, 08:05 AM
        • Reply to Overseas
          by Gordon999
          If you stay in Spain for 183 days or longer , you will become tax resident for Spanish Taxes. You can find this information by online search.

          You may need to obtain a certificate of tax residency from HMRC or from Spain, to avoid paying taxes twice.
          17-08-2022, 09:44 AM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
          by doobrey
          Agree. CGT is supposed to be a tax on 'gains'. Like real ones. There is no 100% right/fair way of doing it but adjusting to an index wouldn't be difficult, and it would be lot better than doing nothing, as now. With the current system you can sell at a loss in real terms and still be taxed on your imaginary...
          17-08-2022, 08:19 AM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
          by Flashback1966
          It is upsetting to pay tax on inflation.

          That is the problem with property. With stocks and shares you can sell a bit every year to make use of the CGT allowance.

          This is why there is a deterent to selling up....
          16-08-2022, 17:58 PM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
          by gnvqsos
          If you a GOOD accountant they will advise on such matters-far more qualified than most forum members. If you pay £50k tax at 18pc you are taxed on £280k.Add allowance of £13k.You have made £295k gross,£245 net, and you want more? Pay your dues and count your stars(and cash)
          16-08-2022, 17:34 PM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
          by jpkeates
          I wouldn't rule it out, but I think the case for anyone starting out to do it as a company is pretty overwhelming now, and that would make it more compelling....
          16-08-2022, 16:34 PM