Home loan on main residence used as a deposit for BTL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home loan on main residence used as a deposit for BTL

More than a year ago, I raised £50k against my home in order to act as deposit for a potential BTL purchase. I did not manage to find a BTL opportunity until now. Meanwhile, the money was in a savings account. Over the course of the year, I spent about £5k of the money on a second-hand car but also replenished the missing money through salary.

It appears that interest can be deducted regardless of the source of funding, as long as the proceeds are used for the BTL business.

I will now be putting a 25% deposit on the BTL purchase, and this is only possible because I took the a loan against my home a year ago. Is it ok to deduct the interest and what documents should I expect to produce if I get asked to prove that the home loan proceeds were used exclusively as deposit for the BTL purchase ?

Originally posted by marplasto View Post
    Is it ok to deduct the interest and what documents should I expect to produce if I get asked to prove that the home loan proceeds were used exclusively as deposit for the BTL purchase ?
    I've done this myself; I put the whole thing through my accountant who worked out the numbers, and said it was OK. I've never been challenged on it by HMRC - all they've ever seen is the top-line information with my tax return and don't actually know the source of my mortgage interest; ie I can't confirm that HMRC have seen and approved the concept.

As regards proof for HMRC - I suppose all you can do is keep all the info you can to show your intent. Personally, I deliberately withdrew a sum (not a round figure) more-or-less matching the purchase price plus costs, and I did so not long before I made the purchase; I also have correspondence on file dated before that with my accountant asking "What if..."; so hopefully that will all cover me.

Comment

You'll need to be careful to be able to prove you took out the mortgage to buy a property for your business.
      The purchase of something else with it and the length of time indicates that this wasn't the actual purpose of the loan (or all of it).

You might find the small amount of information available to HMRC doesn't trigger any further investigation, but it would be possible.
      The backdated interest is not claimable until the property is brought into the business, which hasn't happened yet.

I'd suspect any accountant would tell you to go ahead and claim it.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I did this too. Whilst the money is earning interest in your savings account you must declare that income. Also when you offset the money you use for deposit - you can also offset interest representing the amount of money used for bringing the property up to standard and I believe purchasing costs too.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Reversing gift
          by vik2001
          Ahh yeah got it. As the earlier gift fails does another 7 year PET start again if she buys the share back as cash....
          25-02-2020, 18:12 PM
        • Reversing gift
          by vik2001
          Is there a way of reversing a gift of a property given as joint tenants. I want to remove my name on a house that i share with my mother. Its our only main resendential property. I also want to avoid being caught by GROB...
          24-02-2020, 20:22 PM
          by jpkeates
          Joint tenants don't own anything 50:50, they both own the entire property.
          So I don't think that the gift is part of the property.

Tenants in common would be different.

But this isn't something I am particularly confident about.
          25-02-2020, 18:03 PM
          by AndrewDod
          The earlier gift from your Mom to you fails (as a PET from her) because you are giving it back .........
          25-02-2020, 17:53 PM
          by vik2001
          Hi jp
          Why does the gift fail? As we have it as joint tenants 50/50. We wasnt trying to remove it from her whole estate.
          Hmrc site says if you gift part of property and all owners live together and share bills expenses then a market rent rate isnt required. So the gift hopefully should be...
          25-02-2020, 17:25 PM
          by jpkeates
          The gift from your mother to you fails as a gift for tax purposes.
          The property hasn't left your mother's estate as far as I can tell.

If you were to die, it would be a slight complication, but your executor should be able to sort it out (you might want to leave a note somewhere explaining...
          25-02-2020, 16:51 PM
          by vik2001
          The property is worth 410k. It has been our only main resendential property. There is no mortgage.

Was the transfer of the gift genuine. Because i read under s102b it needs to be a undivided share for my mother to live there else its a grob. Or being joint tenants it doesnt matter? Point...
          25-02-2020, 15:36 PM
          by AndrewDod
          Well in that case

a) CGT will not be payable on the reverse transfer providing the house has so far been your only home in the time you had a half

b) SDLT will not be payable on the reverse transfer provided it is i) a gift transfer and no money changes hands AND ii) there...
          25-02-2020, 14:49 PM
          by jpkeates
          How much is the property worth?...
          25-02-2020, 13:39 PM
          by vik2001
          Not worried about sdlt. I just dont wish to have 2 properties. I also want to protect my mum if i was to pass away first....
          25-02-2020, 12:55 PM
        Working...
        X