Some self assessment questions - Rounding errors and rebates.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Some self assessment questions - Rounding errors and rebates.

    I have filled in my self assessment form and have some queries.

    The property made a loss this year. It will also make a loss next tax year as the property is now sold.

    In the calculations section it ignores the losses and shows figures for my PAYE. Due to rounding errors the online system is saying I owe them just over a quid from my PAYE

    Surely I should have a rebate as I have paid too much tax through PAYE rather than the system demanding more from me? I do not wish to offset a loss to next year as we will have another loss.

    What am I doing wrong?

    How did your property make a loss?

    The tax is on income with specific costs being "allowed" against that income.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      Losses on property income are not usable againts profits/tax-paid on other income (eg Employment, pension, bank interest). However you can "carry forward" those losses (each year..) so that as & when you make a profit off property you can reduce tax paid (or property profits only).

      Did you include all mortgage costs or just interest paid?? In these times of record-low interest rates it's hard-ish to make a loss - how'd it happen??
      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


        There was no mortgage so no interest.

        The Tenants moved out half way through the year so it was refurbished to the standard it was before we rented it previously then it sat waiting for new tenants/or being sold neither of which happened until this tax year. It was also in an area where full council tax was payable.

        Have you got a link to where it says that on HMRC I can't find it.

        Any ideas on why I need to pay more though and how to resolve that. My PAYE P60 is right as it includes pence. The self assessment does not include pence hence it wanting me to pay more. I begrudge paying more than I should.


          In my experience with SA you bang in the exact numbers (e.g. £123.45) and if an expense HMRC round it up (to £124) and if income they round it down (£123). Try it, don't take my word.

          Are you applying all refurb expenses against income tax rather than CGT?? There are at least 12 taxes a landlord can pay, it doesn't all have to go on income tax.

          I take it the link you want is on carrying forward losses.. - see

          & boxes 39, 41, 42 & 43 on SA105...

          PS: When you state
          I have filled in my self assessment form..
          do you mean paper form?? I thought it had to be done online now, before 31/01/2015.

          PPS I am not an accountant!

          PPPS Buy & read this...

          I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


            Yes online. All refurbishment expenses have gone onto the form as property repairs and maintenance. We did not improve the property beyond what it was originally so it is my understanding it is not capital.

            We have not CGT regardless of losses as it was our main residence for main years so get relief on it.


              Any loss incurred by your letting business can be offset against future profit on your letting business. If you have "closed down" the letting business you are not able to offset the loss against anything else.

              Specifically, you may not offset the letting business loss against your income from employment, nor any income from investment or savings.

              You can't understand the rounding applied to the pence (as stated in post #5) - but it always works in your favour. So income is rounded down, and allowable expenses are rounded up.


                Originally posted by Landlady3 View Post
                We have not CGT regardless of losses as it was our main residence for main years so get relief on it.
                Remember that to get relief you must have notified HMRC of your main residency within 2 years of buying a second property, have you done this? If not then you will not be able to claim relief.

                Also, the way this works is that for a certain period (I believe the last five years) relief is granted on when you kept this property as your main property, so normally your CGT burden only reduces, it never reduces to zero.


                Latest Activity


                • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
                  by AndrewDod
                  I think the point that is being missed here is that inflation *is itself* a type of tax.

                  It is a tax on savings (on people who try to save so they they or their disabled child can cope without having to lean on the state instead of smoking it away).

                  Put simply, government...
                  17-08-2022, 20:20 PM
                • Capital Gains Tax
                  by LVA
                  Apologies if this has been covered in this website but I've looked and cannot find...

                  I bought my flat in 1997, rented it out in 2001 (ish), returned to live in it in March 2020. Its approx 27 years ownership and 7 ish years living in it.

                  My accountant tells me the CGT...
                  16-08-2022, 12:59 PM
                • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
                  by gnvqsos
                  I believe CGT did adjust gains in line with the RPI and also had taper relief. This was rejected in the late 90s by GB.
                  17-08-2022, 18:33 PM
                • Reply to Overseas
                  by jase222
                  I sorted that out but but was surprised by his comments, I know all about Spainish residency as been there before , I am waiting for confirmation.
                  17-08-2022, 16:41 PM
                • Overseas
                  by jase222
                  I will be moving to Spain for between 6-9months and I will obviously be paying my taxes and I spoke to a Spainish tax accountant who said the authorities won’t be interested in anybody who stays for less than a year as long as you can prove you pay tax in your own country? I’ve never heard...
                  17-08-2022, 08:05 AM
                • Reply to Overseas
                  by Gordon999
                  If you stay in Spain for 183 days or longer , you will become tax resident for Spanish Taxes. You can find this information by online search.

                  You may need to obtain a certificate of tax residency from HMRC or from Spain, to avoid paying taxes twice.
                  17-08-2022, 09:44 AM
                • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
                  by doobrey
                  Agree. CGT is supposed to be a tax on 'gains'. Like real ones. There is no 100% right/fair way of doing it but adjusting to an index wouldn't be difficult, and it would be lot better than doing nothing, as now. With the current system you can sell at a loss in real terms and still be taxed on your imaginary...
                  17-08-2022, 08:19 AM
                • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
                  by Flashback1966
                  It is upsetting to pay tax on inflation.

                  That is the problem with property. With stocks and shares you can sell a bit every year to make use of the CGT allowance.

                  This is why there is a deterent to selling up....
                  16-08-2022, 17:58 PM
                • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
                  by gnvqsos
                  If you a GOOD accountant they will advise on such matters-far more qualified than most forum members. If you pay £50k tax at 18pc you are taxed on £280k.Add allowance of £13k.You have made £295k gross,£245 net, and you want more? Pay your dues and count your stars(and cash)
                  16-08-2022, 17:34 PM
                • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
                  by jpkeates
                  I wouldn't rule it out, but I think the case for anyone starting out to do it as a company is pretty overwhelming now, and that would make it more compelling....
                  16-08-2022, 16:34 PM