Capital Gains Tax Private - Residence and Lettings Relief Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital Gains Tax Private - Residence and Lettings Relief Question

Hi all, can anyone help me understand the murky waters of the tax world?

Our property where my wife and I used to live is now let out. We own no other property. When we lived in the house I was the sole owner. We then moved away for work (renting) and let out our home on an AST. Whilst our house was being let, half the house was then gifted to my wife on a 50/50 split.

Would my wife be eligible for capital gains residence and lettings relief or would she be disqualified because (although she has lived in it) she technically did not live in it from when she owned part of it?

If disqualified, how long would we have to now go and live in it to be eligible?

Also would the private residence relief (if eligible) include the years when she lived in it prior to part ownership?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Will they raise taxes again?
    by theartfullodger
    Taxes bound to go up, huge amounts to pay for Covid & BR*X*it. Death & taxes, death & taxes.

Holding off working out my position, wishing to remain cheerful for Christmas.

Best wishes to all...
    28-11-2021, 10:45 AM
  • Will they raise taxes again?
    by JK0
    My accountant just finished my 2020/21 tax return, and my income is half of the previous year. I did not think it would be quite that bad. (Half my tenants moved out, and I had a job to replace them. Plus had to get fourteen EICR's!)

I'm guessing you guys are in a similar boat. Never mind...
    27-11-2021, 20:20 PM
    by jpkeates
    I'm about £10k down and it's mostly electrical work.

I can't see this government putting up taxes anymore before the next election, although there's nothing to say that they won't figure out how to tax landlords more specifically - there's few votes lost there.

My candidate...
    28-11-2021, 10:07 AM
    by JK0
    The EICR's cost around £12k in total....
    27-11-2021, 22:48 PM
    by Neelix
    14 EICRs isn’t going to dent the income from 14 properties

its the void periods that cost you...
    27-11-2021, 22:37 PM
  • Reply to Corporation Tax
    by Thurrock1
    jpkeates,

the other directors can't withhold information from them - I am my husband's agent as he has dyslexia and has difficulty with all this. This has been explained to the director but he does not like me and chooses not to recognise in that case anything I/my husband writes.
    25-11-2021, 09:39 AM
    by jpkeates
    If your husband is a director, the other directors can't withhold information from them; unless there are some very specific rules in the company articles - and they wouldn't normally be appropriate in a property development business (which are usually set up with boilerplate documentation).
    The...
    24-11-2021, 18:36 PM
  • Corporation Tax
    by Thurrock1
    Hi, Please can someone tell me if Corporation Tax only becomes payable to the IR on sale of an asset.
    My husband is a director of a property development company - there are only 3 directors.
    He wants to leave and there is no communication with the other directors and it is difficult to get...
    23-11-2021, 19:15 PM
    by theartfullodger
    IR (The Inland Revenue) were dissolved April 2005. Advise against sending them payments....
    24-11-2021, 17:50 PM
    by Thurrock1
    Thanks Gordon999. I have been phoning around about this today. This is a property development Ltd co. it had problems and so in 5 years only managed to develop 1 property - a house into flats. My husband owns one third of the company.

It is not being sold. The other directors need to...
    24-11-2021, 17:47 PM
Working...
X