Selling Rental Property - Can you claim for estate agent or solictors fees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpkeates
    replied
    It doesn't matter when the costs were incurred.

CGT is due on disposal and is calculated as the entire proceeds less all costs associated with the sale less original purchase cost and associated costs of purchase less any improvement costs over the entire period of ownership

Leave a comment:

• Landlady3
    replied
    What do you do if the costs are incurred over two seperate tax years though?

Leave a comment:

• King_Maker
    replied
    Yes - such expenses should be included in your CGT calculation (which needs to be attached to your Tax Return) and the allowable costs on the CGT summary pages.

Leave a comment:

• Selling Rental Property - Can you claim for estate agent or solictors fees?

We have sold our rental property and closed the business.

I am unclear if we are we able to account for the estate agent and solictors fees in our self assessment?

From my understanding it goes in the capital costs section?

However we paid some estate agents fees in 2013-14 but disposed of the asset in 2014-2015 where the remainder of the fees were paid.

How do you put this on the tax form?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
    by mpppen
    Hello,
    We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
    03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
  • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
    by Trevor62
    Thank-you for the link.

Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

Because I am an old dad and my...
    19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
  • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
    by Ollyn
    Hello

I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
  • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
    by Gordon999
    You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
    19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
    by ash72
    You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
    18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
    by theartfullodger
    You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
    18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
  • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
    by Gordon999
    The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

If your annual gross...
    18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
  • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
    by jpkeates
    It's £1,000 each.

Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
    18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
  • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
    by banner257
    Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
    Thanks
    18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
  • Reply to Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
    by Madmax86
    Rent is income. All income needs to be declared, regardless of the mortgage you have
    18-05-2022, 08:50 AM
Working...
X