Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying property with a family member

Hello all,

I'm currently looking to purchase a BTL property in the UK with my brother. We both own a house each which is mortgaged, we both earn a similar yearly income but I also have a rental property.

In regards to being most tax efficient etc is it better to have a the new property in both names or just one? This is not only for income tax but also any CGT. I believe being married carries benefits in regards to shared ownership but how about with a family member?

If having it in joint names is the best method of purchase when completing the self assessment do we just work out income/expenses etc and just half everything and complete the self assessment. Is there a relevant section to declare a property is shared?

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks

If you both own it, there will be two sets of tax allowances (income and CGT) available.
    Assuming you both own half the property you would (as you describe) half everything.

Without being morbid, what would you want to happen to your "halves" if you died - because that can get really complicated?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

So in terms of tax benefits having it in one or both names doesn't matter?

Hadn't thought about what would happen in terms of one of us passing away but it's a fair point

Thanks

Comment

Both names means you have two tax allowances, that's a plus.
        For CGT, for example, when you sell you'd (currently) each have £11k growth tax free, so £22k as opposed to £11k if its in one name.

You might want to look at a partnership (which is a pain, but can allow shares of income and ownership to change - just about - when you feel like it) or a trust (simpler but less flexible).
        Problems sometimes arise when a 50% ownership is inherited by a family or larger group of people, and they want to do different things with their "half" of the property.
        Using a partnership or trust can keep the half of the property out of the estate.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Let Property Campaign.
          by armour
          No Neelix, I don't approve of tax evasion.

As it happens, I am the friend who has convinced the lady that it was best all round if she made a clean breast of it and fessed up as soon as possible via the Let Property Campaign and am using such talants as I posess to help her to do so....
          23-09-2021, 07:46 AM
        • Let Property Campaign.
          by armour
          Hi all,

A friend of mine has been renting out a flat since 2004 and has not declared any of the income to HMRC in all that time.

She wants to come clean and pay the accumulated income tax she owes by making a non-prompted disclosure using the Let Property Campaign system....
          13-09-2021, 13:45 PM
        • Lease my primary residence to my own LTD company
          by Soparles
          Hello,

I own a property on a typical residential mortgage and I am moving to the south. My plan is to obtain a consent to let from my mortgage provider and let the property out as a holiday let. I do not plan to buy another property at this time nor do I want to transfer this property...
          21-09-2021, 07:15 AM
        • Reply to Lease my primary residence to my own LTD company
          by Soparles
          Thanks guys, that’s all understood.

The plan would be to retain all profits within the business to invest in BTL property, so no need for dividends.

Thanks.
          22-09-2021, 10:51 AM
          by jpkeates
          If the advice from the lender didn't include a discussion about leasing the property to a company, I'd have the conversation again.
          If it did, and the lender doesn't have an issue with it, my concern is clearly academic.

The article you linked to is clearly separating itself from...
          22-09-2021, 09:57 AM
          by Gordon999
          ( a) I agree adding holiday let income to your own income ,tax on £50K at 40% = £20K , leaving you with £30K in hand .

(b) If you let to Ltd Company at £10K, your tax = £4000.,

The company taxable income = £50K - £10K rent = £40K charged at 19% corporation...
          22-09-2021, 09:48 AM
        • Reply to SDLT Recovery on Selling Query
          by Gordon999
          I agree with jpk. Your entry cost is £200K. + £5K sdlt + conveyancing solicitor costs + Land Registry costs.
          22-09-2021, 07:47 AM
        • SDLT Recovery on Selling Query
          by Sol_1969
          Say my wife and I buy a house as a second house. We would pay SDLT at the current rate plus 3%.

If in a few years' time we sell the house and the house has gone up by a considerable amount such that we have to pay CGT.

On selling, is the full SDLT paid recoverable against our...
          22-09-2021, 06:03 AM
        • Reply to SDLT Recovery on Selling Query
          by jpkeates
          SDLT is a cost associated with the purchase and can be deducted from the gain before tax is calculated.
          22-09-2021, 07:36 AM
          by Soparles
          Thanks for your detailed response jpkeates.

I have already received separate advice from the lender regarding the consent to let so I am not particularly concerned with this point.

I have done some reading and have found this link which seems to suggest that this type of...
          22-09-2021, 05:58 AM
        Working...
        X