Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of Address notification to HMRC

Change of Address notification to HMRC

Is there a time limit that this must be done by before HMRC might get a little upset?
    - based upon that they have not needed to contact you for SA or any other tax reason.

Unless you've moved abroad or have not told them to avoid filling in a form,
    just tell them.
    I can't remember if they even ask from what date your new address applies.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

There is an automatic 100 pds fine for late submission of SATR. You will be the one upset if you get such fine because you failed to inform the change of your address.

Comment

Ok, well, I've been abroad 10 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
          There is an automatic 100 pds fine for late submission of SATR. You will be the one upset if you get such fine because you failed to inform the change of your address.
          Thanks Gordon. I'm not referring to the SATR, only change of address. By the way, I am a NRL for 10 years.
          So what is 'late' with regards to change of address? Hence my question. What's the time limit? 1 week? 1 month? 6 months? 1 year? etc....
          Thanks.

Comment

That's the wrong question.
            Moving abroad isn't "changing your address", it's changing your fundamental relationship with HMRC.

Given this is a forum about landlords, have you been receiving property rent during this time?
            Was the agent/tenant deducting basic rate income tax before sending it to you (in which case you've possibly dropped them in it as well)?
            To be allowed to not deduct the tax, you needed to apply before you went / started renting.

If you haven't told HMRC you are a non resident landlord, you haven't completed mandatory tax returns for a decade.
            I think the deadlines for these are the same as everyone else, 31st January the year following the end of the financial year.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks JP for getting back, however, you're on the wrong tangent. Allow me to explain a little.

I have been a LL for 10 years, NRL for 10 years, registered with HMRC as a NRL for 10 years, and initially doing SA's for the first few years until HMRC agreed that they didn't need them anymore because I was well under the annual tax free income allowance. I'm now in the position whereby I will be doing SA's again. All the above is irrelevant to my question, but just FYI so that you don't misunderstand.

I've had a change of circumstances this year and in the turmoil of everything going on, not yet notified HMRC of change of address, not that it would have any detrimental effect (i.e. I'm still contactable through other details).

My question is, if not clear before, "Is there a time limit to notifying of change of address" (no, not moving abroad, as I've been abroad 10 years already).
              In the change of address section on HMRC's website, there is no mention as to how quickly you should notify them.

This would be good to establish for all of us going forwards if a LL should be panicking or not at a certain stage after changing address.

Hope that's clearer now, cheers. :-)

Comment

I am not aware of any deadline for a change of address.
                Common sense would say it's the 31st January the year after the tax year you moved in.

Comment

OK thanks jpkeates, agree it seems to be rather blurred, but your thoughts seem logical.
                  I expect therefore if someone is doing a 2013-2014 SATR now, then notification of address change during that tax year, before the 31st Jan 2015 deadline to do the SATR would be fair and unpunished, albeit a rather slow notification.

Comment

Anymore ideas guys?
                    What about our tax experts?

Comment

I am not aware of any legislation nor HMRC deadline for notifying a change of address.

But, as others have said, if any penalties and/or interest are exigible, then the defence of not receiving the relevant Tax Return etc is less likely to be successful.

Comment

Thanks for your input kingmaker 🙏

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X