Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie question re New Boiler

Hello.

First-time poster - recently dipped my toe into the murky waters of property letting!

Bought the property 2.5 years ago with no intention of renting it out, lived in it for two years... then moved-in with my girlfriend - so began renting it out six months ago.

Got a gas engineer in a couple of weeks ago to renew my Landlord's Gas Safety Certificate and service the boiler while he was there... and he sadly condemned the boiler.

It's not a combi - its the old-skool type that feeds an upstairs hot water tank and powers the central heating. Its done very well at being 25 years old (new when the house was built) but needs replacing with a modern condensing boiler.

It's a repair (replacing the old boiler with a new one) but the new boiler is obviously an improvement. Many new regulations and modern standards means there's also quite a lot of work to do to install it, so I'm looking at a bill that will be c£2000.

My question is: is this an allowable expense I can claim back when it comes to the tax return?

You really have to replace the boiler if the old one has failed the safety test- its not an option.

A Report from gas engineer to confirm old boiler condemned will help you to show its a repair expense which can be claimed against the rental income..

Comment

If the new boiler was an improvement, the cost is a capital expense - unless it was a like for like replacement.

Comment

If you are replacing what was a standard boiler 25 years ago with what is a standard boiler now,
        the "improvement" can be ignored, HMRC accept that things improve with time.

If the replacement boiler if made of gold or dispenses tea, it might be an improvement.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

my old boiler makes coffee ....... if she ever gets off her fat a**e !!!

apparently new boilers think its not their job/place etc - so I will stick with my old boiler for now !

ps, its whatever you put it down for - replacement or repair !! you could choose to make it capital expenditure and look to reclaim off any CGT payable if you ever sell the property.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Let Property Campaign.
            by armour
            Hi all,

A friend of mine has been renting out a flat since 2004 and has not declared any of the income to HMRC in all that time.

She wants to come clean and pay the accumulated income tax she owes by making a non-prompted disclosure using the Let Property Campaign system....
            13-09-2021, 13:45 PM
          • Reply to Let Property Campaign.
            by armour
            No Neelix, I don't approve of tax evasion.

As it happens, I am the friend who has convinced the lady that it was best all round if she made a clean breast of it and fessed up as soon as possible via the Let Property Campaign and am using such talants as I posess to help her to do so....
            23-09-2021, 07:46 AM
          • Lease my primary residence to my own LTD company
            by Soparles
            Hello,

I own a property on a typical residential mortgage and I am moving to the south. My plan is to obtain a consent to let from my mortgage provider and let the property out as a holiday let. I do not plan to buy another property at this time nor do I want to transfer this property...
            21-09-2021, 07:15 AM
          • Reply to Lease my primary residence to my own LTD company
            by Soparles
            Thanks guys, that’s all understood.

The plan would be to retain all profits within the business to invest in BTL property, so no need for dividends.

Thanks.
            22-09-2021, 10:51 AM
            by jpkeates
            If the advice from the lender didn't include a discussion about leasing the property to a company, I'd have the conversation again.
            If it did, and the lender doesn't have an issue with it, my concern is clearly academic.

The article you linked to is clearly separating itself from...
            22-09-2021, 09:57 AM
            by Gordon999
            ( a) I agree adding holiday let income to your own income ,tax on £50K at 40% = £20K , leaving you with £30K in hand .

(b) If you let to Ltd Company at £10K, your tax = £4000.,

The company taxable income = £50K - £10K rent = £40K charged at 19% corporation...
            22-09-2021, 09:48 AM
          • Reply to SDLT Recovery on Selling Query
            by Gordon999
            I agree with jpk. Your entry cost is £200K. + £5K sdlt + conveyancing solicitor costs + Land Registry costs.
            22-09-2021, 07:47 AM
          • SDLT Recovery on Selling Query
            by Sol_1969
            Say my wife and I buy a house as a second house. We would pay SDLT at the current rate plus 3%.

If in a few years' time we sell the house and the house has gone up by a considerable amount such that we have to pay CGT.

On selling, is the full SDLT paid recoverable against our...
            22-09-2021, 06:03 AM
          • Reply to SDLT Recovery on Selling Query
            by jpkeates
            SDLT is a cost associated with the purchase and can be deducted from the gain before tax is calculated.
            22-09-2021, 07:36 AM
            by Soparles
            Thanks for your detailed response jpkeates.

I have already received separate advice from the lender regarding the consent to let so I am not particularly concerned with this point.

I have done some reading and have found this link which seems to suggest that this type of...
            22-09-2021, 05:58 AM
          Working...
          X