Property Values 1953 To 1975, Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King_Maker
    replied
    As JKO has stated the relevant date is 31 March 1982. This should result in less Corporation Tax than if the actual acquisition price was used.

Professional valuations will be required for all relevant properties.

Indexation should be available.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    If you're calculating CGT, the value is the value in 1982 as JKO says.

The office of national statistics has average house prices, which you could argue are indicative.
    http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/publicatio...cm%3A77-333236

You could always ask HMRC what they would use, as this would at least help you be consistent.

Leave a comment:

• Imara Group
    replied
    But is there no register, government or council that would record the purchase prices?

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    I believe the value at 31st March 1982 is the base value for capital gains tax, isn't it?

Presumably you know about the Halifax House Price Index?

Leave a comment:

• Sad S
    replied
    RICS have index linking on various kinds of property over many years. To access this, I think you'd need a qualified surveyor.

Leave a comment:

• Imara Group
    started a topic Property Values 1953 To 1975, Please Help!

Property Values 1953 To 1975, Please Help!

Hello there,

I work for a small property investment company which owns a row of 9 units. Each unit has commercial on ground floor and residential on the upper.

We are considering now to sell the row of units. The issue is 8 of them were bought between 1953 to 1975 and we have no record of the purchase price paid as we initially want to work out the tax liability.

The purchase prices are not on the land registry title. Looking at our books from 1953 to 1975 is near impossible.

What can I do? Please Help!

Cheers

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Expenses off-set against income tax
    by xenoid
    Indeed its a capital repayment mortgage at 3.09% (very high i know) .. not many lenders will to remortgage for overseas BTL at a good rate.. value of property is £330 000 and Rent £1250 increasing to £12750 in august... still not good enough for expenses. So I will sell the property.
    recent...
    29-07-2021, 11:44 AM
  • Expenses off-set against income tax
    by xenoid
    Hi All, I have a question that might have been asked but could find it here.. I am an overseas landlord with only one buy-to let property in the UK. My monthly expenses are more than the rental income so on an annual basis I make a loss. I understand that these expenses can be claimed against tax and...
    27-07-2021, 12:54 PM
    by g373
    Yes, sell up....
    29-07-2021, 10:25 AM
    by jpkeates
    If the maintenance, insurance, certificates and other stuff is costing more than £4.5k per annum you should probably sell the property.
    That mortgage is ludicrous for a BTL, unless the value of the property and the market rent are completely out of whack or it's not interest only.
    29-07-2021, 09:07 AM
    by xenoid
    monthly rent 1250 ... buy-to let mortgage 873.12 - certificates (elec, gas, PAT, Fire and risk, EPC), maintenance and repairs, council landlord licence costs, service charges, landlord insurance.... all of these quickly erode the rental income.. mortgage is high since is an overseas Buy to let mortgage......
    29-07-2021, 08:24 AM
  • SPV and Leases
    by Thurrock1
    My husband is one of three directors of a limited property development company that has converted a house to 3 flats. The flats are currently rented. Please can someone tell me if, in order to get leases on the flats, we have to at the same time put them into an SPV. To put them into an SPV will...
    28-07-2021, 20:38 PM
  • Reply to SPV and Leases
    by jpkeates
    There isn't really a black and white answer to the question, which I think if because there's a shed load of information missing.

If your husband is retiring from being a director of a company, there's no need for anything else to happen - so I suspect that he wants to exit an existing...
    29-07-2021, 08:18 AM
    by jpkeates
    I can easily imagine that a couple of costly repairs might knock a property into a short term loss, but a rental property let out at a rent that doesn't cover the basic costs of operating it long term sounds very odd indeed.

How on earth can that happen?...
    29-07-2021, 08:13 AM
    by Neelix
    How many years have you been running at a loss?
    29-07-2021, 07:16 AM
    by AndrewDod
    Sounds like a great investment. HMRC will definitely be exploring those expenses in due course....
    28-07-2021, 20:45 PM
Working...
X