HMRC payments to informers: Make money grassing up a scr*at...

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    HMRC payments to informers: Make money grassing up a scr*at...

    I was pleased to read in today's Times...
    (you need a subscription to read it..)
    Tax dodging pays off for informers

    The taxman paid a record £400,000 last year to informants who gave tip-offs about tax dodgers. The incentives are paid to people such as former spouses and unhappy employees who have inside knowledge about tax cheats.

    The payments, which have risen by 30 per cent in three years, suggest that the system is becoming more effective at identifying genuine tax dodging rather than just malicious gossip.

    HMRC pays between £50 and £1,000 for tips about people dodging income, corporation, capital gains or inheritance taxes, VAT and national insurance. There were 97,036 callers to its hotline last year, according to a freedom of information request by The Sunday Telegraph.

    etc etc etc....
    The hotline number is 0800 788887.

    Online at - also giving route to report benefit fraud
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

Latest Activity


  • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
    by mpppen
    We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

    I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
    03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
  • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
    by Trevor62
    Thank-you for the link.

    Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

    Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

    Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

    Because I am an old dad and my...
    19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
  • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
    by Ollyn

    I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

    I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

    From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

    18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
  • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
    by Gordon999
    You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

    The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
    19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
  • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
    by ash72
    You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
    18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
  • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
    by theartfullodger
    You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

    What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
    18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
  • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
    by Gordon999
    The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

    If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

    If your annual gross...
    18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
  • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
    by jpkeates
    It's £1,000 each.

    Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
    18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
  • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
    by banner257
    Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
    18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
  • Reply to Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
    by Madmax86
    Rent is income. All income needs to be declared, regardless of the mortgage you have
    18-05-2022, 08:50 AM