Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

claiming for expenss property fell through

Hi
    Just wondering if you can offset for expenses such as valuation, solicitors fees if the purchase of the btl property falls through (I have other btls)

Not for an individual.

Possibly for a limited company.

Comment

The above has always been my understanding, but I was wondering if there are any HMRC documents to back this up.?

In my opinion, if HMRC regard letting properties as a business (as they do), I really would of thought, if you can prove the property which fell through was for the portfolio - they should allow the loss to go through as a legitimate business expense. It's just my own opinion.

Comment

It's because they would have been capital costs had the transaction gone ahead
        and they can't change to revenue because it didn't.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The deductions for CGT are very restrictive - and abortive purchase fees are unlikely to qualify.

Nor are such expenses incidental costs of finance.

Comment

We need to be careful about the advice given on the site in my opinion.

My understanding is that HMRC draw 2 'lines in the sand' in relation to property,:

- Property investor -> generally holding for long term and renting out
            - Property trader -> Effectively buying and 'flipping' property for profit.

The former cannot claim for abortive costs the latter can.

Comment

A property developer (which is what I understand you mean by property trader) is either paying income tax on the growth already,
              so the capital to revenue switch issue doesn't apply or running it as a ltd company business, where different tax rules apply anyway.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                by mpppen
                Hello,
                We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
                03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
              • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                by Trevor62
                Thank-you for the link.

Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

Because I am an old dad and my...
                19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
              • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
                by Ollyn
                Hello

I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
              • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
                by Gordon999
                You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
                19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
                by ash72
                You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
                18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
                by theartfullodger
                You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
                18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
              • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
                by Gordon999
                The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

If your annual gross...
                18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
              • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
                by banner257
                Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
                Thanks
                18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
              • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
                by jpkeates
                It's £1,000 each.

Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
                18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
              • Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
                by VIKKI99
                Hi, For kids school - we need to let out our Own House and move to a rental property close to school.
                The rental money I receive from my tenants is exactly same as rent I pay on my property where I am a tenant.
                Question : Rental money I receive from Tenants - should it be considered as income...
                18-05-2022, 01:07 AM
              Working...
              X