claim void period from the day of purchase?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    claim void period from the day of purchase?


    I'm about to buy a buy-to-let property (my 5th), which needs a LOT of work. Need to do a loft dormer and re-model the house will take several months before it's ready to rent out. Maybe 4-5 months.

    During the void period starting from the day of purchase, can I claim the mortgage interest payments against tax, even though it's never been let out prior?



    Yes, it's a valid business expense.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      great thanks! So do I have to do anything in particular to prove it's a BTL from day one to the taxman (since the first tenant won't move in until Spring 2015)?




        All explained in your Self Assessment form which you will need to complete and in particular the part re Income from Land & Property, very straight forward.. Just make sure you keep a complete record of expenditure and income , and remember if you incur a loss this can be carried forward into the next financial year.


          Qualifying pre-renting expenditure is allowable for up to 7 years. Such expenditure is deemed to have occurred on the first day of the letting business.

          Also, it is important to correctly analyse the refurbishment expenditure into capital and revenue - only the latter is deductible for Income Tax purposes.


            You might consider it more tax efficient to let the property for 6/12 months (if you can?) before replacing old fixings and fitting with the modern equivalent...

            Assuming it's not overly contentious you can then claim those repair costs against income this year rather than waiting until you sell and offsetting against CGT. Depending on your tax bracket that could be the difference between 40% and 28% not counting the capital erosion of the 'repair' costs caused by inflation between now and when you sell the property.


            Latest Activity


            • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
              by mpppen
              We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

              I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
              03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
            • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
              by Trevor62
              Thank-you for the link.

              Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

              Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

              Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

              Because I am an old dad and my...
              19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
            • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
              by Ollyn

              I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

              I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

              From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

              18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
            • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
              by Gordon999
              You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

              The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
              19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
            • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
              by ash72
              You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
              18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
            • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
              by theartfullodger
              You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

              What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
              18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
            • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
              by Gordon999
              The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

              If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

              If your annual gross...
              18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
            • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
              by banner257
              Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
              18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
            • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
              by jpkeates
              It's £1,000 each.

              Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
              18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
            • Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
              by VIKKI99
              Hi, For kids school - we need to let out our Own House and move to a rental property close to school.
              The rental money I receive from my tenants is exactly same as rent I pay on my property where I am a tenant.
              Question : Rental money I receive from Tenants - should it be considered as income...
              18-05-2022, 01:07 AM