CGT implications on part transfer of a rented property to my wife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT implications on part transfer of a rented property to my wife?

Hello,

I realise that I have made a fatal error in not transferring the property last year, but would like some advice before potentially making the situation worse!

Issue:
    I am now a higher rate tax payer so would like the rent transferred to my wife to take advantage of her basic rate band.

Relevant info:
    The property is in my name (mortgaged, however will be re-mortgaged in November) and has previously been my PPR (bought in 2006). In Jan 2013, we bought a 2nd property that we moved into and began renting out our original home.

I am lucky (unlucky?) in that due to its location it receives a reasonably high rental income in comparison to its market value. I do not plan on selling the property for the time being, but equally it currently holds a low market value so wouldn’t take much to achieve a reasonable gain.

The current gain on the property 2006 – 2014 is nil.

I know if I had transferred the property in to joint ownership before we purchased the 2nd property, I could have kept my PPR and also claimed up to £80k (£40k x2) letting relief. But unfortunately that didn’t occur to me at the time.

If I transfer 5% / 10% of the property ownership to her, then split the rental income 99% to her, do I still lose 100% of the PPR / Letting relief? Or only the 5% / 10% that I transfer? Also is 5% / 10% enough of a transfer to allow me to give her entitlement to the income?

Is there anything else I should be aware of? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    James

Hi

Any suggestions on the above? Or pointers on who best to ask?

Thanks
    James

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X