Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• graham s
    replied
    thanks for your reply found your letter from hmrc interesting thanks. Have not much paper records been trying to remember all tenants i,ve had over the years but this is only from memory. maybe i will have to go thro bank records if i can go back 15 years oh dear.

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    More on the HMRC Let Property Campaign for your interest

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by graham s View Post
    how would i work all this out from 2002
    Well, if HMRC cotton on, they will certainly work it out for you, if necessary just by wild guesswork in their favour, which will stick if you can't come up with something better. What records do you actually have?

Leave a comment:

• graham s
    replied
    hmm well i bought property in 1999 with my then wife for 48,000 then in 2002 divorced and then rented it out but have had many tenants mostly bad ones. i had one tenant that i had to take to court with a loss of 5,500 rent over the two years and court costs but did have good tenant there for about 2 years who paid rent of 500pm. i did go back to live there in 2010 after another tenant left it in a total mess. my problem being how would i work all this out from 2002 dont know what to do. my current tenant owes me £2,800

Leave a comment:

• TaxationPete
    replied
    You can only claim the interest up to the value of the property when first let. What is a long time. ? What profit have you made. You need to disclose this to HMRC before they uncover you. Regards Peter

Leave a comment:

• JamesHopeful
    replied
    Originally posted by graham s View Post
    yes peter it is a buy to let mortgage but i have another problem i have another property that i am using as my deposit and am re mortgaging it i have been renting out for a long time but i,ve never informed income tax about it. so now i dont know what to do. any help you can give thanks peter
    If you want to get on the right side of the law, you'll need to disclose this to HMRC. Be warned that there may be some penalty to pay, but it might be less than you think....

You may wish to see the ongoing let property campaign from HMRC:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...g-a-disclosure

Leave a comment:

• graham s
    replied
    yes peter it is a buy to let mortgage but i have another problem i have another property that i am using as my deposit and am re mortgaging it i have been renting out for a long time but i,ve never informed income tax about it. so now i dont know what to do. any help you can give thanks peter

Leave a comment:

• TaxationPete
    replied
    Is it a Buy to Let Mortgage you have or a residential mortgage and you have permission form the lender to rent the property out.
    Regards Peter

Leave a comment:

• graham s
    replied
    thanks james yes i have alot to learn. I have been on property hawk and i am making notes from there about all i can claim for even paper and printer ink.. so much to take in, this is a very helpful site . Thanks for the informaition. I did know that only the interest part of my loan is deductible. when i get property i will keep all the bills i will have to pay. eg council tax, gas elec, water, estate fees to let, insur, gas saefty check. see i am learning

Leave a comment:

• TaxationPete
    replied
    "look at property hawk maybe". It's not a maybe it's essential as you have a lot to learn.
    For instance you mention a repayment mortgage, be aware it is only the 'interest' that is deductible.
    You will need to register no matter how much profit you make. The comment about £2,500 only applies to owners with no other income. Regards Peter

Leave a comment:

• graham s
    replied
    thanks james i will look at HMRC website and see how i register for self-assessment and look at propert hawk maybe

Leave a comment:

• JamesHopeful
    replied
    If you are not currently registered for a self-assessment tax return, you'll need to register if your rental profit is more than £2500 in a year. You can do that on the HMRC website. It's very easy.

Other than that, it'd be a good idea to read a general guide on income tax for landlords as soon as possible. Property Hawk has a good concise one, and this website also has various tax articles although they are a bit diffuse. There is loads more available on the internet though, and some good books are about.

Leave a comment:

• graham s
    started a topic tax on buy to let

tax on buy to let

hi can anyone help i am buying new house should be done in a few weeks. i need to know how much tax i will have to pay and how i do it.
    i work full time so i pay normal tax on my earnings.
    i will be renting house for £600pm. will have repayent mortgage of £316 for 25yrs
    i wiill doing some work on house myself eg. re-painting and any minor repairs.
    i will get buildings and gas safety done.
    i need your help on this thanks

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Could we be more tax efficient!
    by bobcat
    Hi all,

We are currently completing the annual tax return for my wife and just wondering whether we could be more tax efficient! We no longer have any loans on the properties or major replacements planned so our tax payable is more than previous years. I don't mind paying tax but am wondering...
    09-12-2019, 17:40 PM
  • Reply to Could we be more tax efficient!
    by JK0
    It's only if you have an agent running the place, the flat is assumed to be managed from there, so your trips to the agent are deemed to be you 'travelling to work'. (Sounds nonsense to me, but there we are.)

If there is no agent. or you are between lettings, I'd say you can claim mile...
    13-12-2019, 12:10 PM
    by jpkeates
    An employer can pay an employee £4 a week without it being taxable to cover the additional costs if the employee works from home.

So I make the claim on the same basis and have done for years.
    No one's ever queried it.
    It's not consistent with the HMRC advice for small businesses,...
    13-12-2019, 10:55 AM
    by bobcat
    Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice and apologise for the delay in responding.

I think of all the possible things mentioned the only things I don't claim for at the moment are mileage, home office and apportioning a phone bill so will look at those in more detail.

In terms...
    13-12-2019, 09:53 AM
  • Responses from HMRC
    by AndrewDod
    Is anyone getting any responses from HMRC these days at all. I sent then two R17 forms with certificates of postage -- one a year ago, another a month ago. No response or acknowledgement at all....
    11-12-2019, 17:51 PM
  • Reply to Responses from HMRC
    by Gordon999
    You can call the tax office hotline , quote your tax reference and ask if your recent letter / form R17 has been entered under your file ?...
    12-12-2019, 22:56 PM
  • Reply to CGT Online Tax Return Question
    by Gordon999
    For calculation of capital gain after sale, the gain (= "sale proceeds" minus "acquisition costs" ) and you want to include the cost of 6 additional buildings and not kept the receipts, you still show the calculation in the tax return but you declare the acquisition cost is based...
    12-12-2019, 22:50 PM
  • CGT Online Tax Return Question
    by Tricky19
    I have a couple of questions relating to my online self-assessment for the CGT calculation on a rental property i have sold.

I originally lived in the property as my primary residence and had some improvement works done which added to the value of the property. I will be deducting these...
    06-12-2019, 14:53 PM
  • Reply to Responses from HMRC
    by tatemono
    my wife and I filed paper returns in August and received our tax statements on the same day in November. Hoping not to hear from them again for a while ;-)
    12-12-2019, 21:46 PM
  • Existing property and existing Ltd Co - Tax question
    by Iceboy74
    Hi All,

I have a LTD co, via which I have been doing consulting for 12 years. About a year a go I asked my accountant to change the SIC codes to include property development, rental etc.

I have just refurbished a house and the Estate Agent has asked me if I want the agreement...
    10-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Working...
X