tax on buy to let

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tax on buy to let

hi can anyone help i am buying new house should be done in a few weeks. i need to know how much tax i will have to pay and how i do it.
    i work full time so i pay normal tax on my earnings.
    i will be renting house for £600pm. will have repayent mortgage of £316 for 25yrs
    i wiill doing some work on house myself eg. re-painting and any minor repairs.
    i will get buildings and gas safety done.
    i need your help on this thanks

If you are not currently registered for a self-assessment tax return, you'll need to register if your rental profit is more than £2500 in a year. You can do that on the HMRC website. It's very easy.

Other than that, it'd be a good idea to read a general guide on income tax for landlords as soon as possible. Property Hawk has a good concise one, and this website also has various tax articles although they are a bit diffuse. There is loads more available on the internet though, and some good books are about.

Comment

thanks james i will look at HMRC website and see how i register for self-assessment and look at propert hawk maybe

Comment

"look at property hawk maybe". It's not a maybe it's essential as you have a lot to learn.
        For instance you mention a repayment mortgage, be aware it is only the 'interest' that is deductible.
        You will need to register no matter how much profit you make. The comment about £2,500 only applies to owners with no other income. Regards Peter

Comment

thanks james yes i have alot to learn. I have been on property hawk and i am making notes from there about all i can claim for even paper and printer ink.. so much to take in, this is a very helpful site . Thanks for the informaition. I did know that only the interest part of my loan is deductible. when i get property i will keep all the bills i will have to pay. eg council tax, gas elec, water, estate fees to let, insur, gas saefty check. see i am learning

Comment

Is it a Buy to Let Mortgage you have or a residential mortgage and you have permission form the lender to rent the property out.
            Regards Peter

Comment

yes peter it is a buy to let mortgage but i have another problem i have another property that i am using as my deposit and am re mortgaging it i have been renting out for a long time but i,ve never informed income tax about it. so now i dont know what to do. any help you can give thanks peter

Comment

Originally posted by graham s View Post
                yes peter it is a buy to let mortgage but i have another problem i have another property that i am using as my deposit and am re mortgaging it i have been renting out for a long time but i,ve never informed income tax about it. so now i dont know what to do. any help you can give thanks peter
                If you want to get on the right side of the law, you'll need to disclose this to HMRC. Be warned that there may be some penalty to pay, but it might be less than you think....

You may wish to see the ongoing let property campaign from HMRC:
                https://www.gov.uk/government/public...g-a-disclosure

Comment

You can only claim the interest up to the value of the property when first let. What is a long time. ? What profit have you made. You need to disclose this to HMRC before they uncover you. Regards Peter

Comment

hmm well i bought property in 1999 with my then wife for 48,000 then in 2002 divorced and then rented it out but have had many tenants mostly bad ones. i had one tenant that i had to take to court with a loss of 5,500 rent over the two years and court costs but did have good tenant there for about 2 years who paid rent of 500pm. i did go back to live there in 2010 after another tenant left it in a total mess. my problem being how would i work all this out from 2002 dont know what to do. my current tenant owes me £2,800

Comment

Originally posted by graham s View Post
                      how would i work all this out from 2002
                      Well, if HMRC cotton on, they will certainly work it out for you, if necessary just by wild guesswork in their favour, which will stick if you can't come up with something better. What records do you actually have?

Comment

More on the HMRC Let Property Campaign for your interest

Comment

thanks for your reply found your letter from hmrc interesting thanks. Have not much paper records been trying to remember all tenants i,ve had over the years but this is only from memory. maybe i will have to go thro bank records if i can go back 15 years oh dear.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Could we be more tax efficient!
                            by bobcat
                            Hi all,

We are currently completing the annual tax return for my wife and just wondering whether we could be more tax efficient! We no longer have any loans on the properties or major replacements planned so our tax payable is more than previous years. I don't mind paying tax but am wondering...
                            09-12-2019, 17:40 PM
                          • Reply to Could we be more tax efficient!
                            by AndrewDod
                            You probably are not missing much obvious - pay the tax....

Boiler servicing, tax software perhaps, maybe take the opportunity to fix stuff as you go otherwise you may end up with large expenses at the end with nothing to claim against. Tenant advertising, deposit protection fees, tenancy...
                            09-12-2019, 20:01 PM
                          • Reply to Could we be more tax efficient!
                            by JK0
                            I'd definitely claim the mileage. I believe it's 45p per mile, so worth claming.

Are you both putting the maximum into your pensions?
                            09-12-2019, 19:41 PM
                          • PPR question
                            by Pamgioberti
                            Hi,

I am looking for a little advice.

I purchased a run down home to live in back im 2012, I spent my time between there and my parents as I was doing it up.

My father fell ill at this time and work slowed down, he passed away and I had to stay with my disabled...
                            09-12-2019, 01:53 AM
                          • Reply to PPR question
                            by Gordon999
                            If you only owned one property during 2012-2014, you were paying the council tax bill and it was not rented out , I think you can safely claim ppr for that initial period.
                            09-12-2019, 14:20 PM
                          • Reply to PPR question
                            by Pamgioberti
                            Thank you. Nothing apart from the fact it was a normal mortgage and changed to a buy to let when it was rented out. I was living with my parents at the time and was very excited to get my first home. I would have moved my mother in that house but it wasnt big enough.

I guess it's difficult...
                            09-12-2019, 14:15 PM
                          • Reply to PPR question
                            by jpkeates
                            It becomes 9 months for properties disposed of after that point.
                            09-12-2019, 13:51 PM
                          • Reply to PPR question
                            by theartfullodger
                            Think 18 month compo ends 05/04/2020....
                            09-12-2019, 13:25 PM
                          • Reply to PPR question
                            by jpkeates
                            You either lived there or you didn't.
                            It's a matter of fact, rather than anything we can try and reason through.

I think, in your case, I'd be tempted to claim a short initial residence, while you were doing it up and before you moved in with your mother first time.
                            That, at...
                            09-12-2019, 12:00 PM
                          • Reply to PPR question
                            by theartfullodger
                            Sorry to read of your losses.

What evidence do you have of your intention to live there - eg putting your then-current home up for sale and/or giving notice if rented?
                            09-12-2019, 11:33 AM
                          Working...
                          X