tax on buy to let

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tax on buy to let

hi can anyone help i am buying new house should be done in a few weeks. i need to know how much tax i will have to pay and how i do it.
    i work full time so i pay normal tax on my earnings.
    i will be renting house for £600pm. will have repayent mortgage of £316 for 25yrs
    i wiill doing some work on house myself eg. re-painting and any minor repairs.
    i will get buildings and gas safety done.
    i need your help on this thanks

If you are not currently registered for a self-assessment tax return, you'll need to register if your rental profit is more than £2500 in a year. You can do that on the HMRC website. It's very easy.

Other than that, it'd be a good idea to read a general guide on income tax for landlords as soon as possible. Property Hawk has a good concise one, and this website also has various tax articles although they are a bit diffuse. There is loads more available on the internet though, and some good books are about.

Comment

thanks james i will look at HMRC website and see how i register for self-assessment and look at propert hawk maybe

Comment

"look at property hawk maybe". It's not a maybe it's essential as you have a lot to learn.
        For instance you mention a repayment mortgage, be aware it is only the 'interest' that is deductible.
        You will need to register no matter how much profit you make. The comment about £2,500 only applies to owners with no other income. Regards Peter

Comment

thanks james yes i have alot to learn. I have been on property hawk and i am making notes from there about all i can claim for even paper and printer ink.. so much to take in, this is a very helpful site . Thanks for the informaition. I did know that only the interest part of my loan is deductible. when i get property i will keep all the bills i will have to pay. eg council tax, gas elec, water, estate fees to let, insur, gas saefty check. see i am learning

Comment

Is it a Buy to Let Mortgage you have or a residential mortgage and you have permission form the lender to rent the property out.
            Regards Peter

Comment

yes peter it is a buy to let mortgage but i have another problem i have another property that i am using as my deposit and am re mortgaging it i have been renting out for a long time but i,ve never informed income tax about it. so now i dont know what to do. any help you can give thanks peter

Comment

Originally posted by graham s View Post
                yes peter it is a buy to let mortgage but i have another problem i have another property that i am using as my deposit and am re mortgaging it i have been renting out for a long time but i,ve never informed income tax about it. so now i dont know what to do. any help you can give thanks peter
                If you want to get on the right side of the law, you'll need to disclose this to HMRC. Be warned that there may be some penalty to pay, but it might be less than you think....

You may wish to see the ongoing let property campaign from HMRC:
                https://www.gov.uk/government/public...g-a-disclosure

Comment

You can only claim the interest up to the value of the property when first let. What is a long time. ? What profit have you made. You need to disclose this to HMRC before they uncover you. Regards Peter

Comment

hmm well i bought property in 1999 with my then wife for 48,000 then in 2002 divorced and then rented it out but have had many tenants mostly bad ones. i had one tenant that i had to take to court with a loss of 5,500 rent over the two years and court costs but did have good tenant there for about 2 years who paid rent of 500pm. i did go back to live there in 2010 after another tenant left it in a total mess. my problem being how would i work all this out from 2002 dont know what to do. my current tenant owes me £2,800

Comment

Originally posted by graham s View Post
                      how would i work all this out from 2002
                      Well, if HMRC cotton on, they will certainly work it out for you, if necessary just by wild guesswork in their favour, which will stick if you can't come up with something better. What records do you actually have?

Comment

More on the HMRC Let Property Campaign for your interest

Comment

thanks for your reply found your letter from hmrc interesting thanks. Have not much paper records been trying to remember all tenants i,ve had over the years but this is only from memory. maybe i will have to go thro bank records if i can go back 15 years oh dear.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Things to consider when renovating, renting, and future capital gains
                            by Phyllis
                            I have inherited a property from my father. It needs TOTAL refurbishment and Is suited to conversion into two self contained, three bedroom flats. My plan is to rent the flats out once refurbished. I realise there are many things to consider and am finding it overwhelming at the moment. I initially...
                            19-11-2019, 21:53 PM
                          • Reply to Capital gains on selling House pre/post April 2020
                            by juwelkeeper
                            Thanks jpkeates
                            19-11-2019, 19:43 PM
                          • Capital gains on selling House pre/post April 2020
                            by juwelkeeper
                            Hi

I have a house which is currently rented and I am considering selling it.I just did some calculations and it seems the changes to the lettings relief will sting me but I want to make sure I have got my calculations correct. Details are:

I brought the house for £33.360...
                            16-11-2019, 05:38 AM
                            by jpkeates
                            Letting Relief is capped at the lowest of:

£40,000
                            The taxable gain or
                            The amount of PRR

So in the example in your first post the PRR is £114 and change, the taxable gain is £27475 and £40k is £40k.
                            So the lowest of those is £27475 and so you'd owe nothing....
                            19-11-2019, 17:39 PM
                            by juwelkeeper
                            So if for arguments sake i had £39000 left after taking away expenses and PPR i would still pay zero as im still under the £40000 limit , am i reading this right ....
                            19-11-2019, 16:55 PM
                            by juwelkeeper
                            Well thats handy to know that its at exchange of contracts and not completion as it might buy me a bit more time.
                            Thanks for the info...
                            19-11-2019, 16:51 PM
                          • Cgt tax enquiry
                            by Bill31
                            Hi have hmrc investigating my cgt form for a asset i sold. It was my only property I owned.
                            Theres a error in the calculation of cost which is being sorted.
                            There also asking details of what property was used for during ownership. First year i owned it i did renovation work and lived there...
                            15-11-2019, 21:10 PM
                          • Reply to Cgt tax enquiry
                            by jpkeates
                            Ah, never good if HMRC find something wrong first.

Where you live is a matter of fact, based on the specific circumstances.
                            If you regarded the property as your home and paid council tax and had the utility bills in your name, HMRC will have to present a good argument to overcome...
                            19-11-2019, 14:15 PM
                          • Reply to Cgt tax enquiry
                            by Bill31
                            HMRC are already aware, they are doing a compliance check. thats how i figured out i didnt understood fully what PPR entails. obviously on my return i claimed for this, and now realised i couldnt as it wasnt my main full time residence, despite staying there a couple days a week on and off.
                            19-11-2019, 12:53 PM
                          • Jersey Bank interest on uk self-assessment form
                            by royboy1
                            Hi
                            Got question with regards to income tax
                            I’m a British citizen, non-resident in the uk and Eu.
                            At present I file a uk self-assessment every year for uk property income.
                            I have a bank account in jersey, that has just started to pay interest
                            on some very small savings,...
                            19-11-2019, 05:29 AM
                          Working...
                          X