CGT - Moving out of flat to let

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT - Moving out of flat to let

I know there are CGT questions already answered in the forums, but I think this is a bit different to the other so I need to ask the question.

My wife and I are moving to another part of the country for family reasons. We have been paying the mortgage on our current flat for 7 years, and now intend to let it.

If we decide to sell it in, say, 10 years tiem, will we still be liable for CGT? In the meantime, we will be buying a house in our new location.

QUERY: My wife and I are moving to another part of the country for family reasons. We have been paying the mortgage on our current flat for 7 years, and now intend to let it.

If we decide to sell it in, say, 10 years tiem, will we still be liable for CGT? In the meantime, we will be buying a house in our new location.

ANSWER: I assume that you have been occupying your current flat as your only or main residence for 7 years since you bought it. If you now let it for 10 years before selling it, you would have owned it for 17 years altogether. The 7 years used as residence + final 3 years = 10 years will be exempt as PPR.

Therefore, you will have 10/17the gains exempted from CGT.

7/17ths gain will be chargeable but this will be reduced by lettings relief of upto £40,000 for each spouse (but not to exceed the gains exempted as PPR), taper relief of 40% of the remaining gains, and annual exemptions for each spouse (presently £8,500 each).

Ramnik
    Private advice is available for a fee by sending a private message.

Comment

Hear that whooshing sound? That's your reply going straight over my head.

Yes we have lived in it as out home for the past 7 years. Should we get it valued now, so that when it comes to selling, the CGT gets calculated on the profit?

Thanks for your time to reply by the way, I will try to get my head round what it means.

Comment

QUOTE: 'Hear that whooshing sound? That's your reply going straight over my head.'
        REPLY: Please stop the whooshing sound as it is doing my head in.

QUOTE: 'Yes we have lived in it as out home for the past 7 years. Should we get it valued now, so that when it comes to selling, the CGT gets calculated on the profit?
        REPLY: You do not need any valuations at all. The total gains over the WHOLE period of ownership is time-apportioned between exempt gains (10/17ths) and chargeable gains (7/17ths). Therefore, the gain is assumed to have arisen evenly over the whole ownership period. But the 7/17ths chargeable gains will be further reduced by lettings relief, taper relief and annual exemptions. Depending on the figures, you may not need to worry about CGT.

QUOTE: 'Thanks for your time to reply by the way, I will try to get my head round what it means'
        REPLY: I am holding my breath. It would have helped if you had quoted the month and year of purchase, the cost price and the estimated value now. But you have already now had two bites of the cherry.

Ramnik

Comment

Bought for 60k in May 1998. Now worth 200k. Rental income £953 pcm.

Comment

QUOTE: 'Bought for 60k in May 1998. Now worth 200k. Rental income £953 pcm.'

REPLY: Your gain is £140K which is all fully exempt as your only or main residence. This exemption continues for a further 3 years. Additionally, you and your wife will also be entitled to lettings relief of 2 x £40,000= £80,000 if you let the property at anytime before selling.

Basically you could sell in 10 years time for say £310 less cost £60 = Gain £250. Chargeable will be 250 x 7/17 = £100 less lettings relief £80 = £20 less taper relief 40% = £12,000 less annual exemption = NIL taxable.

Ramnik

Comment

Ahhh. I think I get it now

Thanks for the hand-holding and bearing with me

Comment

You are welcome.

Ramnik

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Capital Gains Tax dilemma
                  by Ollyn
                  Hello

I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
                • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
                  by Gordon999
                  You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
                  19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
                  by ash72
                  You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
                  18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
                  by theartfullodger
                  You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
                  18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
                • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
                  by Gordon999
                  The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

If your annual gross...
                  18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
                • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
                  by jpkeates
                  It's £1,000 each.

Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
                  18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
                • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
                  by banner257
                  Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
                  Thanks
                  18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
                • Reply to Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
                  by Madmax86
                  Rent is income. All income needs to be declared, regardless of the mortgage you have
                  18-05-2022, 08:50 AM
                • Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
                  by VIKKI99
                  Hi, For kids school - we need to let out our Own House and move to a rental property close to school.
                  The rental money I receive from my tenants is exactly same as rent I pay on my property where I am a tenant.
                  Question : Rental money I receive from Tenants - should it be considered as income...
                  18-05-2022, 01:07 AM
                • Reply to Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
                  by theartfullodger
                  The clue is in the name. INCOME tax. Make sure you keep all relevant records, possibly say 30 years , for CGT which on current rules you will probably pay when eventually sold. But yes, self assessment income tax to be comply and paid, online. Do you have registration for government gateway?
                  18-05-2022, 07:26 AM
                Working...
                X