Accounting Questions

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Accounting Questions


    First post here but have been a reader for a while, I have placed it in the "tax" board as I feel it is the closed match, but I fear it is more of an accounting question. I hope that's OK.

    I am away to rent out a couple of residential properties and am seeking a little clarification on the best accounting practice for this; I have rented out property before but am a little out of date so now doing my research in obligations etc. I am in the process of appointing an accountant and letting agent, but intend to do my own bookkeeping under advice. Despite this, I do like to have at least a basic understanding of how things work in my own mind so I don't go into discussions totally blind, anyway - to get to the point...

    When organising an accounting scheme in which ever software does one need to account for the income and expenses from each property separately, or can they all be combined together in one? I realise it might be good to do it separately to see how each individual property is doing, but from a more official HMRC/accounting point of view, which is best/required?

    Similarly, when recording allowable/unallowable expenses, are these best recorded under each heading for ease of calculation, or can the all just be under general expenses?

    Any guidance gratefully received.


    I assume you're doing this as an individual rather than a limited company or LLP etc? If so, you will need to decide whether to use the Cash Basis or Accrual Basis - if the former is an option.

    My "default" position is now leaning towards company - but it does all depend on the investor(s) precise circumstances.

    Normally, all UK properties are treated as a single business - unless not let at a commercial rent etc. One of the main problems is likely to be distinguishing between revenue and capital expenditure - only the former is deductible from rental income.

    The more classification the better, IMHO. They can be amalgamated later for the Tax Return.

    A Balance Sheet can be very useful to track mortgages and capital expenditure - the latter might not be needed for many years (one of my clients had over 20 years to deal with for CGT purposes).


      Thanks very much for the clarifications and insight.

      Sorry, forgot to mention that it would indeed be on an individual basis - no LLP, LTD etc.


      Latest Activity


      • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
        by mpppen
        We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

        I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
        03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
      • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
        by Trevor62
        Thank-you for the link.

        Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

        Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

        Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

        Because I am an old dad and my...
        19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
      • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
        by Ollyn

        I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

        I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

        From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

        18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
      • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
        by Gordon999
        You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

        The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
        19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
      • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
        by ash72
        You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
        18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
      • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
        by theartfullodger
        You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

        What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
        18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
      • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
        by Gordon999
        The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

        If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

        If your annual gross...
        18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
      • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
        by jpkeates
        It's £1,000 each.

        Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
        18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
      • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
        by banner257
        Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
        18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
      • Reply to Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
        by Madmax86
        Rent is income. All income needs to be declared, regardless of the mortgage you have
        18-05-2022, 08:50 AM