Purchase of Freehold a tax deductable expense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchase of Freehold a tax deductable expense?

Just completing my tax return & looking for guidance on whether the purchase of a share in a freehold is a tax deductable expense or not? I own a leasehold flat and together with the other flat owners bought the freehold from the Council in February last year, for £2500 including legal expenses. I let the flat & the net rental income is healthy so it would be useful if I could claim this an expense to offset the income.

No , you cannot claim freehold cost as an expense against rental income. It is a capital expense which can be claimed after you sell your flat for calculation of cgt.

Comment

cheers Gordon, many thanks for our prompt response.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• tax / cgt question for renovating property
        by DroidEgg
        I purchased a shell of a house that was structurally sound but needed complete refurbishment. The house had been ransacked many items. eg All the radiators & copper pipe had been ripped from the walls.
        A builder completed all the work from start to finish. The final cost was an all-in job...
        02-07-2022, 10:33 AM
      • Reply to CGT query
        by Gordon999
        I believe your solicitor has to prepare a Deed of Trust which transfers 60 % interest in the property from wife to you.

You need to make clear to your solicitor that Deed is for HMRC only and not for registration at Land Registry

After signing the Deed , you...
        01-07-2022, 16:51 PM
      • CGT query
        by vik238754
        Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife...
        23-05-2022, 19:37 PM
      • Reply to CGT query
        by vik238754
        The existing declaration states 10:90 beneficial interest not legal interest
        01-07-2022, 13:06 PM
      • Reply to CGT query
        by Gordon999
        The Declaration changing the beneficial interest to 70:30 is prepared only for showing to the Tax Office .

The existing registration of 10% :90% legal interest at Land Registry does not change and the Mortgage Lender has already accepted this situation. .
        01-07-2022, 12:18 PM
      • Reply to CGT query
        by vik238754
        Hi. My solicitor has told me the declaration needs to be registered with the land registry otherwise there will be no effect of creating the declaration. Is this correct?

I have also spoken to my lenders and they have mentioned they will want a new copy of the title. I mentioned to them...
        01-07-2022, 10:35 AM
      • Reply to For tax purposes is there a limit to the number of years we can carry over losses?
        by Gordon999
        The details for scheme under £7500 :

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...om-scheme-2021...
        30-06-2022, 16:59 PM
      • For tax purposes is there a limit to the number of years we can carry over losses?
        by Steve Macey
        1.Pretty sure I read there is no limit! and to give kids the reigns if older brcause you cant transfer losses. perhaps was a different tax i read for though
        2. Can utility bills during empty periods be claimed as expenses?
        3. Think I read that I can either choose the 1k allowance or claim...
        15-06-2022, 01:54 AM
      • Reply to Tax Exemption
        by jp13abk
        Many thanks for clarifying doobrey...
        30-06-2022, 11:05 AM
      • Tax Exemption
        by jp13abk
        Hello everyone,

If I were to rent out a spare room of my 2-bed apartment, would I be entitled to the £7500 tax-free renting income mentioned here: https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your...-a-room-scheme.

Thanks in advance
        14-04-2021, 19:37 PM
      Working...
      X