Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT advice please

Hi all, please can somebody help!

I bought my property in 2001 for £45000 and moved out in 2008. My brother lived there rent free for a couple of years and we have rented the property for the last 3 years.

It is worth around £110000 at the moment.

What CGT would we be liable to pay as I know we're unlikely to sell before April so our relief would be halved.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Assuming you sell after april , you probably will make approx gain of 65K over 13 years and you get residence relief for 7 years +1.5 years after moving out . Your brohther's stay does not count.

So the share of gain during the letting period is 65x 4.5 /13 = 22.5K which should be cancelled out by lettings relief up 40K + 10.9K cgt allowance.

Comment

Hi Gordon,

Thank you very much for the advice. I really appreciate it.

This is probably a stupid question but is the gain worked as you've shown above, price at purchase and price when sold or is it worked out from how much you've gained once the mortgage is taken off? In our case we have around £28,000 left on mortgage so the gain would be around £82000. Either way it looks like we'll be fine if we sell in the next year or so?

Another question: we set up a declaration of trust and my wife has been paid the rent and filing the self assessment tax form each year as I am a higher rate tax payer. The house is still in my name though and it was myself who lived there. What would be our next steps to ensure I get the tax relief?

Is it easy enough to do ourselves or worth getting a solicitor/accountant to advise closer to the time?

Thank you again.

Comment

The capital gain over 13 years ( under HMRC rules for calculating the tax liability ) is the 2014 sale price less 2001 purchase price less solicitor costs ( in 2001 + 2014) less any selling estate agent / advertising costs.

The figure of 82,000 which you mentioned, is your "proceeds from sale" after paying off the outstanding mortgage loan.

You need to seek professional advice on DOT before you sell as W may not be able to claim the lettings relief.

Comment

Unfortunately, as many people are discovering, any mortgage is NOT deductible for CGT purposes.

As Gordon999 has said, the DoT may have compromised PPR Relief and Lettings Relief. If so, there may be a negligence claim against the original solicitor.

Comment

"Did your wife live there as well". Regards Peter

Comment

Thanks all. Will definitely seek professional advice. My wife didn't live at the property.

Comment

So where did your wife live, do you have another house. A Husband and Wife can only have one PPR. Regards Peter

Comment

Hi Peter,

I have sent you a private message with all the details. Thank you.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
                    by DoricPixie
                    How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
                    04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
                  • SDLT and first time buyers
                    by mpppen
                    Hello again.

Just wondering if someone can advise.

If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
                    03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
                    by jpkeates
                    If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
                    It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

There's obviously...
                    04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
                    by AndrewDod
                    Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
                    04-07-2022, 14:45 PM
                    by mpppen
                    Thanks.

Yes, the lender is happy to lend them 100% the purchase price so not gifting on our side. In essence, it's just removing it from our name into theirs as he is also our lender.

It's unusual I appreciate but it's a private commercial lender - if that makes sense. His...
                    04-07-2022, 13:55 PM
                    by AndrewDod
                    A few other comments:

Depending where you are HMRC is not going to believe "no increase in value over past two years". An estate agent assessment may not be worth much at all. If challenged and HMRC do their own assessment you may be paying tax on a 20% uplift of 350K = quite...
                    04-07-2022, 13:45 PM
                    by mpppen
                    Thanks both.

The intent is for them to live there but they may want to rent it out while they go off to university. That's where I'm struggling as to whether the Stamp Duty relief applies or not.

CGT wouldn't apply as the property hasn't increased in value significantly since...
                    04-07-2022, 13:11 PM
                    by AndrewDod
                    Capital gains tax?
                    Who assessed market value?
                    Are they actually paying for this?
                    04-07-2022, 08:35 AM
                  • Are letting agent fees(2 year lease,change of tenant) considered allowable expenses
                    by ss112233
                    This question is about allowable expenses for tax deduction.
                    Are letting agent fees for a 24 month lease(with a 16 month break clause) after a change of tenant considered as revenue or capital expenditure?
                    I use a cash basis for accounting. The fees were paid in two lump sums. One at the...
                    03-07-2022, 13:26 PM
                  • Reply to Are letting agent fees(2 year lease,change of tenant) considered allowable expenses
                    by AndrewDod
                    Absolutely northing at all to do with capital expenditure
                    04-07-2022, 08:31 AM
                  Working...
                  X