CGT advice please

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CGT advice please

    Hi all, please can somebody help!

    I bought my property in 2001 for £45000 and moved out in 2008. My brother lived there rent free for a couple of years and we have rented the property for the last 3 years.

    It is worth around £110000 at the moment.

    What CGT would we be liable to pay as I know we're unlikely to sell before April so our relief would be halved.

    Thank you for your help in advance.

    Assuming you sell after april , you probably will make approx gain of 65K over 13 years and you get residence relief for 7 years +1.5 years after moving out . Your brohther's stay does not count.

    So the share of gain during the letting period is 65x 4.5 /13 = 22.5K which should be cancelled out by lettings relief up 40K + 10.9K cgt allowance.


      Hi Gordon,

      Thank you very much for the advice. I really appreciate it.

      This is probably a stupid question but is the gain worked as you've shown above, price at purchase and price when sold or is it worked out from how much you've gained once the mortgage is taken off? In our case we have around £28,000 left on mortgage so the gain would be around £82000. Either way it looks like we'll be fine if we sell in the next year or so?

      Another question: we set up a declaration of trust and my wife has been paid the rent and filing the self assessment tax form each year as I am a higher rate tax payer. The house is still in my name though and it was myself who lived there. What would be our next steps to ensure I get the tax relief?

      Is it easy enough to do ourselves or worth getting a solicitor/accountant to advise closer to the time?

      Thank you again.


        The capital gain over 13 years ( under HMRC rules for calculating the tax liability ) is the 2014 sale price less 2001 purchase price less solicitor costs ( in 2001 + 2014) less any selling estate agent / advertising costs.

        The figure of 82,000 which you mentioned, is your "proceeds from sale" after paying off the outstanding mortgage loan.

        You need to seek professional advice on DOT before you sell as W may not be able to claim the lettings relief.


          Unfortunately, as many people are discovering, any mortgage is NOT deductible for CGT purposes.

          As Gordon999 has said, the DoT may have compromised PPR Relief and Lettings Relief. If so, there may be a negligence claim against the original solicitor.


            "Did your wife live there as well". Regards Peter


              Thanks all. Will definitely seek professional advice. My wife didn't live at the property.


                So where did your wife live, do you have another house. A Husband and Wife can only have one PPR. Regards Peter


                  Hi Peter,

                  I have sent you a private message with all the details. Thank you.


                  Latest Activity


                  • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                    by Trevor62
                    Thank-you for the link.

                    Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

                    Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

                    Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

                    Because I am an old dad and my...
                    19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
                  • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                    by mpppen
                    We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

                    I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
                    03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
                  • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
                    by Gordon999
                    You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

                    The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
                    19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
                  • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
                    by Ollyn

                    I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

                    I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

                    From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

                    18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
                  • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
                    by ash72
                    You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
                    18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
                  • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
                    by theartfullodger
                    You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

                    What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
                    18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
                  • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
                    by Gordon999
                    The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

                    If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

                    If your annual gross...
                    18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
                  • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
                    by banner257
                    Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
                    18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
                  • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
                    by jpkeates
                    It's £1,000 each.

                    Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
                    18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
                  • Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
                    by VIKKI99
                    Hi, For kids school - we need to let out our Own House and move to a rental property close to school.
                    The rental money I receive from my tenants is exactly same as rent I pay on my property where I am a tenant.
                    Question : Rental money I receive from Tenants - should it be considered as income...
                    18-05-2022, 01:07 AM