Solicitors fees for BTL claimable or a capital gains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solicitors fees for BTL claimable or a capital gains?

I bought a property on a buy to let mortgage in Feb 2013. Is my solicitors fees for the purchase an allowable expense for my self assessment for year april 2012- april 2013 or is it an expense that is only taken into account when selling the property? i.e it can be used to reduce my capital gains when I decide to sell the property in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Only when doing the CGT calculation on disposal.

Comment

Is that right? I have put solicitors fees, arrangement fees, valuation fees etc down as an expense incurred in the year. Are all costs relating to arranging a mortgage only taken into account when selling?

Comment

No - expenses relating to the mortgage should be allowable against rental income as "incidental costs of obtaining finance".

The OP seems to be referring to the purchase costs?

Comment

Bear in mind that if the solicitor is acting for the lender as well as you (which they usually are), around 20% of their fee will be in relation to the legal aspects of the mortgage so you should be able to apportion that as revenue costs.

Comment

Possibly.

Better option is to always get the solicitor to issue 2 invoices - one for the purchase costs, and the other for the loan.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X