Landlord tax implications....basics

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Landlord tax implications....basics


    Myself and the wife are renting a property we jointly own, although she is the landlord on the documents. Where is the best to start to understand the tax liabilities. We haven't looked into this at all and I'm concerned we could be hit with a tax bill.

    We are:

    - working full-time (wife 4 days only)
    - renting through an agency
    - have some receipts for maintenance work carried out before we started renting to get the house ready/maintenance while renting etc
    - been renting continuously since August 2012
    - UK resident

    Apologies this is a very basic level question, but any help much appreciated.

    You + wife ( as 50% owners) each have to submit a tax return for the 50% share of rental profit during the period from August 2012 to 5th April 2013 ( and submit before 31st Jan 2014 by online return or 31st Oct 2013 by paper return ).

    You can calculate the total rental income from 8 months rental statements and the total allowable expenses ( including repair costs , LA fees , house insurance cover and mortgage loan interest ) and divide figures by 2 for the figures to enter on yours + wife's tax returns.

    You can inform the tax office by letter under your existing tax ref or submit a Form SA105 ( download form and SA105 notes from hmrc website ).



      Thanks for the reply. Some of the repair work could have been in preparation for rental, I.e. in the days before the tenancy started. Are these receipts still valid, or must the work have been carried out during the tenancy?


        Qualifying pre-rental expenditure is allowable for up to the previous 7 years. It is deemed to have been incurred on the first day of letting.


          'Incurred' is this defined in this context?


            Incurred in this context means that you paid it.


              So if the date of the receipt is prior to the first day of tenancy, it's of no use?


                Originally posted by landlordmrjim View Post
                So if the date of the receipt is prior to the first day of tenancy, it's of no use?
                No, it can be allowable - that's why it is called pre-rental expenditure.



                Latest Activity


                • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                  by gnvqsos
                  I think the insurance company were right-the render must have been distressed to suffer storm damage. You can offset cost against income.
                  24-05-2022, 14:36 PM
                • Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                  by shipboard
                  I rent out a single property, during the winter storms the brickwork was damaged and the cheapest option to repair it was to render the Gable end and rear of the property. I tried to claim on the insurance but they maintained it was due to wear and tear, I am of course disputing this. My question is...
                  24-05-2022, 10:04 AM
                • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                  by jpkeates
                  I'd say that's a maintenance cost and would be allowed against income.
                  It would affect the value of the property, but only to restore it to the level that it was at prior to the damage (plus the general positive effect of any large maintenance work).
                  24-05-2022, 10:53 AM
                • Reply to CGT query
                  by jpkeates
                  What you are planning to do is routine and HMRC will accept the change as a matter of routine admin.
                  24-05-2022, 09:13 AM
                • CGT query
                  by vik238754
                  Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife...
                  23-05-2022, 19:37 PM
                • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                  by Trevor62
                  I like the Idea of knowing that my children will get my property oneday but would like to avoid as much interaction from these legal people as possible....
                  23-05-2022, 17:36 PM
                • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                  by mpppen
                  We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

                  I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
                  03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
                • Sec 20 Accounting
                  by Silverdale

                  Hoping somebody might point me in the right direction regarding RMC accounting, I am a leaseholder and would like to join the board but am a little wary. Our lease mandates that the service charge which is an advance on the next year should reflect the previous year's accounts...
                  05-02-2022, 16:26 PM
                • Reply to Sec 20 Accounting
                  by jamesmcgrill
                  Hey, am looking for Accountant in London. Typical costs for an average UK accountant will be around £35 per hour for basic services
                  23-05-2022, 15:53 PM
                • Higher rate stamp duty
                  by jase222
                  we are selling our main residence and moving into a buy to let I have and in a few months looking to buy another main residence for approximately 350k .
                  I have now understood I will have to pay higher rate stamp duty , is there any way around it . I have used a calculator and standard...
                  21-05-2022, 05:52 AM