Can I transition from Renewable Allowances to Wear and Tear form 6-April-2013?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I transition from Renewable Allowances to Wear and Tear form 6-April-2013?

Hi Guys,

First of all Merry Christmas!

This is first post on this form so please bear with me if I ask a very naive question

I've been renting a furnished property on Renewable Allowances basis for about 3 years. As I understand Renewable Allowances has been Abolished For Residential Landlords from 6-April-2013. My query is that can I transition from Renewable Allowances to Wear and Tear form 6-April-2013?

Thanks in advace.

Regards,
    Garry

Wear and Tear allowance is permitted only for a fully furnished property.

Comment

This hmrc guide may help to explain what is covered under "furnished property" :

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pimmanual/pim3200.htm

Are you preparing your tax return for 2012/2013 before 31 Jan 2014 ?

Comment

Sad S,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is fully furnished. Does anyone know if landlords will be given a chance to trasit to Wear & Tear from FY2013-14?

Comment

Gordon999,

Thanks for your reply and the link. Yes, I'm preparing my tax return for 2012/2013 before 31 Jan 2014. I was thinking if landlords will be given a chance to trasit to Wear & Tear for FY2013-14 return? Please note Iet my property furnished.

Comment

The short answer is Yes - according to HMRC - W&T for 2013-14 et seq is claimable, as the renewals basis "concession" has been abolished.

However, IMHO, there is an arguable case that renewals basis is still available for landlords via section 68 ITTOIA 2005 (which is extended to property rental businesses by section 272 ITTOIA 2005).

Comment

You can add a note in your tax return to say " Claiming 10% W&T due to change of hmrc rules to abolish renewals cost allowance."

Comment

Thanks all for your valuable inputs.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                  by AndrewDod
                  Can't see any reason this would be an insured event. Agree it is not a capital expense at all....
                  25-05-2022, 09:25 AM
                • Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                  by shipboard
                  I rent out a single property, during the winter storms the brickwork was damaged and the cheapest option to repair it was to render the Gable end and rear of the property. I tried to claim on the insurance but they maintained it was due to wear and tear, I am of course disputing this. My question is...
                  24-05-2022, 10:04 AM
                  by Another Fine Mess
                  If you dont mind me suggesting, If your Insurance Company is rejecting your claim you could get in touch with a Chartered Loss Assessor who would argue with the Insurance Company Loss Adjuster, its worth a phone call to one.
                  24-05-2022, 16:30 PM
                  by gnvqsos
                  I think the insurance company were right-the render must have been distressed to suffer storm damage. You can offset cost against income.
                  24-05-2022, 14:36 PM
                • Reply to CGT query
                  by Gordon999
                  Hmrc rules allow transfers between spouses without cgt. The recipient spouse takes on the asset at the original purchase price.
                  24-05-2022, 11:16 AM
                  by Gordon999
                  I agree with jpk : it is a maintenance expense which is claimed against rental income....
                  24-05-2022, 11:12 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  I'd say that's a maintenance cost and would be allowed against income.
                  It would affect the value of the property, but only to restore it to the level that it was at prior to the damage (plus the general positive effect of any large maintenance work).
                  24-05-2022, 10:53 AM
                • CGT query
                  by vik238754
                  Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife...
                  23-05-2022, 19:37 PM
                • Reply to CGT query
                  by jpkeates
                  What you are planning to do is routine and HMRC will accept the change as a matter of routine admin.
                  24-05-2022, 09:13 AM
                • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                  by mpppen
                  Hello,
                  We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
                  03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
                Working...
                X