Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rollover Relief for Individuals

Hi All,

Please can I trouble the forum to advise whether CGT Rollover Relief (or similar?) would be available in either of the following two situations:

1) Self-employed managing own property portfolio and looking to sell a property with the intention of re-investing in new property acquisitions

2) Part-time employed (4 days a week) using remaining time to manage own property portfolio and looking to sell a property with the intention of re-investing in new property acquisitions

Thanks as always for your comments.
    Ad

You need to ask hmrc direct or a tax advisor if roll over relief is available to individuals .

Here's link to transfer of business assets :-

http://www.rossmartin.co.uk/index.ph...es-as-business

Comment

Thanks Gordon,

My accountant has suggested that it should be fine in both situations although we haven't discussed in great detail.

Comment

If this is a privately owned property ( not within a trading business/company ) that you are selling then you can not claim Rollover Relief. I am surprised at you accountant not realising that. Regards Peter

Comment

That's disappointing.
          Perhaps I wasn't clear enough over the phone - I will have to ask again but it doesn't sound good!

Comment

Originally posted by TaxationPete View Post
            If this is a privately owned property ( not within a trading business/company ) that you are selling then you can not claim Rollover Relief. I am surprised at you accountant not realising that. Regards Peter
            Following the successful appeal to the UTT in Ramsay v. HMRC, I consider that rollover relief can apply to an individual property rental business. Whether it does apply in the OP's circumstances is another matter.

Peter, what are your reason(s) for thinking otherwise?

Comment

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/businesses/reliefs.htm.
              An individual rental property is not a business trading asset. Regards Peter

Comment

Peter,

Rollover Relief/Incorporation Relief ( section 162 TCGA 1992) makes no mention of "business TRADING asset". The important point is the transfer of a BUSINESS - that is point on which HMRC lost at the UTT. I assume it is likely that HMRC will appeal the Ramsay decision, but I am not aware that this has been done?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                  by AndrewDod
                  Can't see any reason this would be an insured event. Agree it is not a capital expense at all....
                  25-05-2022, 09:25 AM
                  by Another Fine Mess
                  If you dont mind me suggesting, If your Insurance Company is rejecting your claim you could get in touch with a Chartered Loss Assessor who would argue with the Insurance Company Loss Adjuster, its worth a phone call to one.
                  24-05-2022, 16:30 PM
                • Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                  by shipboard
                  I rent out a single property, during the winter storms the brickwork was damaged and the cheapest option to repair it was to render the Gable end and rear of the property. I tried to claim on the insurance but they maintained it was due to wear and tear, I am of course disputing this. My question is...
                  24-05-2022, 10:04 AM
                  by gnvqsos
                  I think the insurance company were right-the render must have been distressed to suffer storm damage. You can offset cost against income.
                  24-05-2022, 14:36 PM
                • Reply to CGT query
                  by Gordon999
                  Hmrc rules allow transfers between spouses without cgt. The recipient spouse takes on the asset at the original purchase price.
                  24-05-2022, 11:16 AM
                  by Gordon999
                  I agree with jpk : it is a maintenance expense which is claimed against rental income....
                  24-05-2022, 11:12 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  I'd say that's a maintenance cost and would be allowed against income.
                  It would affect the value of the property, but only to restore it to the level that it was at prior to the damage (plus the general positive effect of any large maintenance work).
                  24-05-2022, 10:53 AM
                • CGT query
                  by vik238754
                  Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife...
                  23-05-2022, 19:37 PM
                • Reply to CGT query
                  by jpkeates
                  What you are planning to do is routine and HMRC will accept the change as a matter of routine admin.
                  24-05-2022, 09:13 AM
                • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                  by mpppen
                  Hello,
                  We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
                  03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
                Working...
                X