CGT query - moving next doot.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CGT query - moving next doot.

    The property nextdoor will soon come on the market and my wife and I are looking into the feasibility of buying it and letting either it, or our current home.

    Having previously let a property (that was initially my residence) and sold it paying no CGT some years ago, I am wondering if this can be repeated now time has moved on and my circumstances have changed.

    Our current property is jointly owned by my wife and I. If we pruchase the house nextdoor and move into it, could we let our current property for a number of years and avoid all CGT on capital gain if we sell?

    It is not quite correct to say that you will not have any CGT liability because you once occupied the property as your only or main residence and also rented it afterwards.

    As the existing home has been your only or main residence since the date of purchase, all the period of ownership until you move out is fully covered by PPR relief and no CGT is payable for this period. Additionally, you are allowed a further 3 years to do what you like with the property and this 3 year period will also be exempt from CGT. If you let the property and retain it beyond the 3 year period, the gains apportioned to this excess period is chargeable to CGT. However, any such chargeable gains is further reduced by lettings relief of upto £40,000 for each one of you (upto £80,000 for two owners). This relief is equal to your gains covered by PPR relief upto a maximum of 2 x £40,000. If there is still any gains exposed to CGT, you have non-business asset taper relief of 5% after 3 years ownership rising to 40% max for 10 years ownership. Finally, you have the annual exemption for the two of you, currently 2 x £8,500 = £17,000.

    All in all, you have at least 3 years CGT free period. But, depending on how long you have owned and lived in your current property, and assuming that you will let it as residential accommodation, you have a substantially longer period to keep renting and still pay little or no CGT. The final position will depend on how much gains you make and how long you have retained the property before selling it.

    Private advice is available for a fee by sending a private message.


    Latest Activity


    • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
      by mpppen
      We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

      I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
      03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
    • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
      by Trevor62
      Thank-you for the link.

      Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

      Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

      Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

      Because I am an old dad and my...
      19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
    • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
      by Gordon999
      You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

      The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
      19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
    • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
      by Ollyn

      I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

      I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

      From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

      18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
    • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
      by ash72
      You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
      18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
    • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
      by theartfullodger
      You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

      What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
      18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
    • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
      by Gordon999
      The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

      If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

      If your annual gross...
      18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
    • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
      by jpkeates
      It's £1,000 each.

      Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
      18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
    • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
      by banner257
      Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
      18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
    • Reply to Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
      by Madmax86
      Rent is income. All income needs to be declared, regardless of the mortgage you have
      18-05-2022, 08:50 AM