Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling in short space of time and CGT

Hi,

I bought my house for £295k in Feb 13 and hope to sell it in Jan 14 for a £380k. The property needed a complete refurb. The house is my main residence. I am aware that there is a minimum 6 month rule, which most banks will not lend on.

My question is will i be charged CGT as i am selling in a short period of time and the large gain made. My aim is to work my way up the property ladder and be mortgage free in the next 5 years.

thanks

What was your original intention when you bought the property?

Comment

Hi,

It wasn't my intention to buy and sell in such a short period of time. But I would like to move to a four bed or another 3 bed in a better location.

Are there any known restrictions on buying and selling in a short period of time.
      Thanks

Comment

As long as the property was your main and sole residence during the period you will not have any CGT to pay

Comment

thanks for your help gents. How would the HMRC find out anyway, unless i told them myself.

Comment

Originally posted by mprop10 View Post
            Hi,

It wasn't my intention to buy and sell in such a short period of time. But I would like to move to a four bed or another 3 bed in a better location.

Are there any known restrictions on buying and selling in a short period of time.
            Thanks
            The legislation does not set any minimum time for occupation to become residence - longer is usually better. But the courts have indicated that it is quality rather than quantity that is important.

So, assuming you have done all the usual things - e.g. bank accounts, mail etc all using this address, not approaching Estate Agents to sell it etc. - you should be OK.

Have you read HMRC's Help Sheet HS283 on the subject?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/hs283.pdf

Comment

thanks for your help gents. How would the HMRC find out anyway, unless i told them myself.
              Land Registry? Informant(s)?

Comment

thanks for your replies, How do you mean 'not approaching Estate Agents to sell it etc.'. I would wan to sell via a local estate agent.

Comment

thanks for your replies, How do you mean 'not approaching Estate Agents to sell it etc.'. I would wan to sell via a local estate agent.
                  The fact that one is trying to sell a property - especially if soon after acquisition - is not normally an indicator that the property is meant to be a long term residence.

Comment

thanks guys, i am getting a mixed response. My last property i occupied for 6 years and i don't intend on buying and selling every year.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                      by AndrewDod
                      Can't see any reason this would be an insured event. Agree it is not a capital expense at all....
                      25-05-2022, 09:25 AM
                      by Another Fine Mess
                      If you dont mind me suggesting, If your Insurance Company is rejecting your claim you could get in touch with a Chartered Loss Assessor who would argue with the Insurance Company Loss Adjuster, its worth a phone call to one.
                      24-05-2022, 16:30 PM
                    • Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                      by shipboard
                      I rent out a single property, during the winter storms the brickwork was damaged and the cheapest option to repair it was to render the Gable end and rear of the property. I tried to claim on the insurance but they maintained it was due to wear and tear, I am of course disputing this. My question is...
                      24-05-2022, 10:04 AM
                      by gnvqsos
                      I think the insurance company were right-the render must have been distressed to suffer storm damage. You can offset cost against income.
                      24-05-2022, 14:36 PM
                    • Reply to CGT query
                      by Gordon999
                      Hmrc rules allow transfers between spouses without cgt. The recipient spouse takes on the asset at the original purchase price.
                      24-05-2022, 11:16 AM
                      by Gordon999
                      I agree with jpk : it is a maintenance expense which is claimed against rental income....
                      24-05-2022, 11:12 AM
                      by jpkeates
                      I'd say that's a maintenance cost and would be allowed against income.
                      It would affect the value of the property, but only to restore it to the level that it was at prior to the damage (plus the general positive effect of any large maintenance work).
                      24-05-2022, 10:53 AM
                    • CGT query
                      by vik238754
                      Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife...
                      23-05-2022, 19:37 PM
                    • Reply to CGT query
                      by jpkeates
                      What you are planning to do is routine and HMRC will accept the change as a matter of routine admin.
                      24-05-2022, 09:13 AM
                    • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                      by mpppen
                      Hello,
                      We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
                      03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
                    Working...
                    X