Asset Transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asset Transfer

My husband and I moved abroad 10 years ago, but we retain a small number of UK rental houses which we've been hoping to sell. I may now have to return to the UK for personal reasons for a couple of years. Could anyone please tell me what the CGT implications would be if I transferred the houses to my husband now or if I transferred them after becoming UK resident again (on the basis that we still want to sell them)? Thank-you

It may be better to make your inter-spouse transfer before you return to UK. And you need to consider the effect under tax laws of country where you are living

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/intro/gif...t-divorce.htmh

But if you decide to sell , do it quickly as the tax rules for non-residents may be changed soon according to a report in Times Newspaper on 1st Nov .

Comment

Hi Amy

As Gordon correctly states you need to be aware of the current tax implications of the country you are currently resident in as your first port of call, as this could be a major factor in any planning.

There will certainly be an impact with regards to UK CGT if you own part of the properties and sell them when you resume residency in the UK again.

If however, it is a straight transfer of ownership to your husband once you re enter the UK then their will be no CHT issues as Husband & Wife Transfers are exempt under CGT law.

I would consult your Tax Advisor, who will be best placed to plan everything for you.

Kind regards

Terry
      Terry Hodge
      Head of Tax

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Recent tax return
        by Ailers
        Hi, new here, sorry if this has been asked already but I can't find the answer.

I have just completed my tax return for 2020/21 as a landlord with a few properties. My income was 22k and my outgoings (maintainance, ground rent, insurance, mortgage payments etc) was 18k. The mortgages are...
        24-01-2022, 22:42 PM
      • Reply to Recent tax return
        by jpkeates
        I suspect that you completed the return incorrectly.
        25-01-2022, 09:30 AM
      • Reply to 50/50 ownership versus rental split
        by AndrewDod
        Yes (if you are spouses)
        Probably wise to use a lawyer
        CGT not relevant as you can freely transfer between spouses for CGT purposes (even shortly before a sale)...
        25-01-2022, 08:52 AM
      • 50/50 ownership versus rental split
        by Deeks67
        Hi guys , I have recieved some inaccuratre advice ( not from this site ) RE ownership and rental income split . my wife and I have 2 unemcumbered properties which are renting out , the first started renting in Oct 2020 and the second started in July 2021 . Both properties are in joint names 50/50 (...
        25-01-2022, 06:24 AM
      • Reply to Tax return
        by jpkeates
        If it was first let in December 2020, the costs allowable against income prior to that take place on the first day of the first tenancy for tax purposes.

So, if you mean can you claim it on a tax return for April 2020 to April 2021, the answer is yes.
        You can't claim it for this tax...
        24-01-2022, 21:10 PM
      • Tax return
        by pchaure
        Hi
        New to this, buy to let property got in 2018 but renewing took time and COVID hit. Rented out since Dec 2020. I had Electrical work done completed in 2019, as had no income I had not filled in self assessment. Can I claim it in this tax year?
        24-01-2022, 19:05 PM
      • Advice
        by jhoggard
        Hi,

I currently have a property rented out in my own name with a fair bit of equity around 50% LTV this is actually a repayment mortgage which i'm looking to switchover to a interest only. When i do this i'm also taking money out of the property to put towards another which i'm looking...
        20-01-2022, 14:25 PM
      • Reply to Advice
        by SouthernDave
        I started my limited company a year before buying the first property, then bought a second 2 months later, a third 3 months after that, a fourth 5 months after that and so on to where I am now. Our lenders have never said they want a separate company per property. Ive never heard of that, if it were...
        23-01-2022, 17:40 PM
      • Reply to Advice
        by jpkeates
        I don't think we disagree.

The OP has one property and is looking to buy a second.
        At that point in that business, lenders will want a company per property.

There's a point where that ceases to be the case, when the portfolio gets big enough, or, presumably when someone...
        23-01-2022, 17:34 PM
      • Reply to Advice
        by SouthernDave
        i concur with James, once you get over 4 properties, they consider you to be a portfolio landlord and want to start seeing cashflow forecasts before lending to make sure the company is buoyant. Directors guarantees each time but no limits on number of properties or number of dofferent lenders.
        23-01-2022, 16:50 PM
      Working...
      X