Capital Gains question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Capital Gains question

    Hi I would like to start selling one property a year from my portfolio and when I speak with my accountant he is not sure if I can use my capital gains allowance every year on the sale of a property? Basically I think the single allowance is around 10k and I was hoping I would only pay CGT on any declared profit over this figure minus any other deductible items? Am I missing something here?

    I think the issue is that there is a difference between a property developer and property investor, one pays income tax on earnings and the other can pay cgt - it comes down to the definition, it seems as though by your 'strategy' that you would fall into the property developer category and therefore pay income tax.

    hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will come along to provide a definitive answer

    if you get the book from tax café on avoiding propert tax, it is all in there, sounds like your accountant was correct to me.


      Yes, you can sell as many of your investment properties each year as you wish.

      For 2013-14, the Annual Exemption for CGT is £10,900.


        Are these properties rented out by you prior to selling them off. If you are introducing properties to your portfolio, doing them up then selling them then you are a property developer and IT and NI will apply not CGT.
        I gthey are ental properties from your portfolio then one a year will allow you to use your annual CG Allowance of £10,900.
        Regards Peter


        Latest Activity


        • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
          by Ollyn

          I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

          I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

          From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

          18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
          by ash72
          You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
          18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
          by theartfullodger
          You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

          What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
          18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
        • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
          by Gordon999
          The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

          If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

          If your annual gross...
          18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
        • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
          by banner257
          Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
          18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
        • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
          by jpkeates
          It's £1,000 each.

          Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
          18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
        • Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
          by VIKKI99
          Hi, For kids school - we need to let out our Own House and move to a rental property close to school.
          The rental money I receive from my tenants is exactly same as rent I pay on my property where I am a tenant.
          Question : Rental money I receive from Tenants - should it be considered as income...
          18-05-2022, 01:07 AM
        • Reply to Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
          by Madmax86
          Rent is income. All income needs to be declared, regardless of the mortgage you have
          18-05-2022, 08:50 AM
        • Reply to Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
          by theartfullodger
          The clue is in the name. INCOME tax. Make sure you keep all relevant records, possibly say 30 years , for CGT which on current rules you will probably pay when eventually sold. But yes, self assessment income tax to be comply and paid, online. Do you have registration for government gateway?
          18-05-2022, 07:26 AM
        • Reply to Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
          by jpkeates
          It’s income....
          18-05-2022, 06:58 AM