letting as an individual vs through a business

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    letting as an individual vs through a business

    Hi All - newbie here so please bear with me!

    I have a particular set of circumstances whereby I am in a dilemma as to whether it would be more beneficial to buy to let as a Ltd company as opposed to as an individual - any one got any similar experiences/guidance?

    Situation is as follows:

    I have been running a successful business in manufacturing for over a decade now and earn a living through annual dividends and expenses as a basic rate tax payer at the threshold limit, but have always wanted to have and run a property portfolio - which is something I have been actively researching for the last 18 months or so. I am in a position where I can afford to do that now, but cant get my head around whether it would be better and more efficient for me to set up and buy property to let as a limited company or take the hit in income terms.

    My initial philosophy is regardless of which way I go - I wont be looking to take an income form any monies coming in rather to use it to re invest in more property to build up my portfolio.

    I hope I have posted this in the right place!

    Any advice/guidance would be most appreciated.

    What does your accountant advise you do?


      Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
      What does your accountant advise you do?

      Thanks for responding - reason I am asking is I am getting different opinions from 2 different accountants. One says do it through a Ltd company, other says its not that much more beneficial and to just set up as a individual.........hence the confusion.


        There is more administration work involved using a property company and the interest rates for mortgage loans are ususally higher for companies .

        2 different accountants ? are they both fully qualified professional accountants ? they should give you the same tax advice . BUT you should not rely on unpaid advice from this forum- it may not be correct..

        The company has to file annual accounts returns to hnrc and Companies House. and file annual members return and mortgage charges etc to Companies House .

        The personal income tax rate at 40% applies to your existing income exceeding 41500 threshhold.

        The Company tax rate is 20% up to 300,000 annual profit but if the profit (after 20% tax ) is paid out as dividend to shareholders, then it is added to personal income from other sources and may be chargeable at 40% tax rate.


          Thanks for your comments - will take your advice and find a 'specialist' to talk to!


            Depends on your specific circumstances.

            Company better for sheltering income.

            Personal often better for CGT.


              If you dont need to take profits and intend to build a portfolio over time it will probably make sense to use a Co as you will benefit from the lower tax rate and will be able to reinvest the saving.


              Latest Activity


              • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                by AndrewDod
                Can't see any reason this would be an insured event. Agree it is not a capital expense at all....
                25-05-2022, 09:25 AM
              • Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                by shipboard
                I rent out a single property, during the winter storms the brickwork was damaged and the cheapest option to repair it was to render the Gable end and rear of the property. I tried to claim on the insurance but they maintained it was due to wear and tear, I am of course disputing this. My question is...
                24-05-2022, 10:04 AM
              • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                by Another Fine Mess
                If you dont mind me suggesting, If your Insurance Company is rejecting your claim you could get in touch with a Chartered Loss Assessor who would argue with the Insurance Company Loss Adjuster, its worth a phone call to one.
                24-05-2022, 16:30 PM
              • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                by gnvqsos
                I think the insurance company were right-the render must have been distressed to suffer storm damage. You can offset cost against income.
                24-05-2022, 14:36 PM
              • Reply to CGT query
                by Gordon999
                Hmrc rules allow transfers between spouses without cgt. The recipient spouse takes on the asset at the original purchase price.
                24-05-2022, 11:16 AM
              • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                by Gordon999
                I agree with jpk : it is a maintenance expense which is claimed against rental income....
                24-05-2022, 11:12 AM
              • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                by jpkeates
                I'd say that's a maintenance cost and would be allowed against income.
                It would affect the value of the property, but only to restore it to the level that it was at prior to the damage (plus the general positive effect of any large maintenance work).
                24-05-2022, 10:53 AM
              • CGT query
                by vik238754
                Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife...
                23-05-2022, 19:37 PM
              • Reply to CGT query
                by jpkeates
                What you are planning to do is routine and HMRC will accept the change as a matter of routine admin.
                24-05-2022, 09:13 AM
              • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                by mpppen
                We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

                I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
                03-03-2022, 20:00 PM