Can this be done?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can this be done?


    I'd like to buy a property for my son? It would be financed with a 25% deposit and the rest on mortgage. At the moment he is only 14 so I don't think he can own a property until he is 18.

    If it is possible, how would I declare the rental income, pay the taxes etc?

    Also, would this cause any tax issues for my son later on, such as CGT or gifts?

    Many thanks

    You are correct - a minor cannot own property. You would be a Trustee. Any CGT on disposal would be his responsibility. Not sure if you need a Court Order to sell a minor's property?

    Also, any rental profit would be taxable on you until age 18.

    It would be a PET for IHT.


      Thanks King-Maker.

      If the property became my son's main home (after he deserts me) - I guess this would solve any CGT issues?

      Also, sorry, what is PET?


        Yes, if your son made the property his home, this could mitigate/extinguish the CGT liability depending on how long he resided there.

        Have you read HMRC's Help Sheet HS283 on the subject?

        A PET is a Potentially Exempt Transfer.


          Many thanks, I'll have a read.


            I was wondering how can a minor of 14 years qualify for a 75% mortgage ?


              I was rather hoping it would be me (his mother) taking out the mortgage - I'd be paying all the taxes due and when my son is 18, he would hopefully be able to take on his own mortgage.


              Latest Activity


              • Reply to Corporation Tax
                by Thurrock1

                the other directors can't withhold information from them - I am my husband's agent as he has dyslexia and has difficulty with all this. This has been explained to the director but he does not like me and chooses not to recognise in that case anything I/my husband writes.
                25-11-2021, 09:39 AM
              • Corporation Tax
                by Thurrock1
                Hi, Please can someone tell me if Corporation Tax only becomes payable to the IR on sale of an asset.
                My husband is a director of a property development company - there are only 3 directors.
                He wants to leave and there is no communication with the other directors and it is difficult to get...
                23-11-2021, 19:15 PM
              • Reply to Corporation Tax
                by jpkeates
                If your husband is a director, the other directors can't withhold information from them; unless there are some very specific rules in the company articles - and they wouldn't normally be appropriate in a property development business (which are usually set up with boilerplate documentation).
                24-11-2021, 18:36 PM
              • Reply to Corporation Tax
                by theartfullodger
                IR (The Inland Revenue) were dissolved April 2005. Advise against sending them payments....
                24-11-2021, 17:50 PM
              • Reply to Corporation Tax
                by Thurrock1
                Thanks Gordon999. I have been phoning around about this today. This is a property development Ltd co. it had problems and so in 5 years only managed to develop 1 property - a house into flats. My husband owns one third of the company.

                It is not being sold. The other directors need to...
                24-11-2021, 17:47 PM
              • Reply to Corporation Tax
                by Gordon999
                The company pay CT on the "trading profit" reported in the annual accounts.( which are filed annually at Companies House).

                After the asset (the building) has been sold, the trading profit will be reported in the next annual accounts by accountant and CT will be payable to...
                24-11-2021, 11:33 AM
              • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
                by Neelix
                In most areas student houses don't pay council tax ....... move in a "non student" and Council tax will apply
                18-11-2021, 07:54 AM
              • Student HMO and Holiday let
                by lewis593
                Hello everyone. Can I rent my 4 bed property to students and holiday makers at the same time? For example 3 bedrooms will be used for students and 1 bedroom will be used as a holiday let. Would this have any tax/council tax implications? Would it be classed as a holiday let and be liable for business...
                17-11-2021, 19:54 PM
              • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
                by nukecad
                Flag any of your posts (the little flag at the bottom of them) and ask the moderator if he can change the name for you....
                17-11-2021, 23:00 PM
              • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
                by lewis593
                Can I rent my air b and b property to students?
                17-11-2021, 20:34 PM