Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non Resident - Sale of only House - Capital Gains Tax

Hi All,

I have been a NON Resident out of the UK for 2 years and im considering selling my only property in the UK. I paid 90k for it in 2006 and if im lucky to sell it, it would sell for arounf 85-90k therefore there would be 0 profit. How would I be affected in relation to capital gains tax in the case?.

If you paid 90K and sell for same or less, you have no profit to report or any liability for Capital Gains tax to pay.

Comment

If you are non resident then you are not liable to UK CGT anyway. You may have to report the sale of a world wide asset in the country you are now resident but there should be no tax of any sort. Regards Peter

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
        by Trevor62
        Thank-you for the link.

Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

Because I am an old dad and my...
        19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
      • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
        by mpppen
        Hello,
        We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
        03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
      • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
        by Gordon999
        You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
        19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
      • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
        by Ollyn
        Hello

I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
        by ash72
        You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
        18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
        by theartfullodger
        You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
        18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
      • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
        by Gordon999
        The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

If your annual gross...
        18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
      • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
        by jpkeates
        It's £1,000 each.

Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
        18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
      • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
        by banner257
        Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
        Thanks
        18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
      • Reply to Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
        by Madmax86
        Rent is income. All income needs to be declared, regardless of the mortgage you have
        18-05-2022, 08:50 AM
      Working...
      X